Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do I Do Now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill Shaw
After a number of fits and starts I’ve now come to a point where I have to make a 914 decision. I have two- a ‘74 and a ‘76.
I thought I was well on my way to restoring the’74 - bodywork done and primed, trans rebuilt, a Raby 2056 assembled with carbs, suspension and brakes done, etc. Then I found out that a longitudinal (right, of course) had to be repaired or replaced. I don’t think there are any other rust issues but I can’t be completely sure.
I found a ‘76 race car with a decent undercarriage for a really good price so I bought that, thinking I could drive it and sell the’74. Had the’76 for a couple of months of fun driving, then it left me stranded twice with an engine that just quit (think it’s a D-Jet issue. The’76 also needs the usual work to finish converting it from track to road.
I now have 2 undriveable 914s and have to decide relatively soon how to deal with them. My original plan was to keep the’76, install the Raby engine in it and sell the’74 with the ‘76 engine as a project car. Now that decision time is coming up I’m wondering if this is the right way to go.
Since I live in Kalamazoo I know of few local 914 owners and none seem to have much experience. I should also say that I have no experience with repairing or replacing longitudes, let alone tackling D-Jet issues.
Any advice/recommendations/assistance would be most welcome!!
rjames
Sounds like you have 2 decent cars. I'd fix them both.

Without seeing pictures...

if the '74 is a 'nicer car', I'd get the '76 running well, sell it, and then use that $ to repair and finish the '74.

If the '74 has too many rust issues and the '76 is clean, get the '76 running well then swap the engines and move whatever else you need over to the '74 and sell the '76. (This option assumes that the '76 is exempt from the emissions test.)

There's enough knowledge here to help you get the Djet issues sorted out.
Superhawk996
More teeners in MI than you might think and on your side of the state.

Original Customs

http://www.originalcustoms.com/contact.php

Mad Dogs Motorsports

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/contact-us

Root_Werks
Each person is different and for me, 2 project 914's is too much. If I were in your shoes, get the 76' in decent enough driving condition and sell it. Use the money and time to finish the 74' project you started.

That's what I would do.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Bill Shaw @ May 22 2021, 06:53 PM) *

After a number of fits and starts I’ve now come to a point where I have to make a 914 decision. I have two- a ‘74 and a ‘76.
I thought I was well on my way to restoring the’74 - bodywork done and primed, trans rebuilt, a Raby 2056 assembled with carbs, suspension and brakes done, etc. Then I found out that a longitudinal (right, of course) had to be repaired or replaced. I don’t think there are any other rust issues but I can’t be completely sure.
I found a ‘76 race car with a decent undercarriage for a really good price so I bought that, thinking I could drive it and sell the’74. Had the’76 for a couple of months of fun driving, then it left me stranded twice with an engine that just quit (think it’s a D-Jet issue. The’76 also needs the usual work to finish converting it from track to road.
I now have 2 undriveable 914s and have to decide relatively soon how to deal with them. My original plan was to keep the’76, install the Raby engine in it and sell the’74 with the ‘76 engine as a project car. Now that decision time is coming up I’m wondering if this is the right way to go.
Since I live in Kalamazoo I know of few local 914 owners and none seem to have much experience. I should also say that I have no experience with repairing or replacing longitudes, let alone tackling D-Jet issues.
Any advice/recommendations/assistance would be most welcome!!

the sum of the parts value is greater than the whole, so part it out.... ok i'll take the Raby motor... poke.gif

ok joking aside, i would keep the 74 fix that long and keep the Raby motor in it and sell off the other stuff. you will then know what you have.

good luck, but you have some good people in the mid-west that can help you out
930cabman
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 24 2021, 11:37 AM) *

Each person is different and for me, 2 project 914's is too much. If I were in your shoes, get the 76' in decent enough driving condition and sell it. Use the money and time to finish the 74' project you started.

That's what I would do.

Good advice, I am living the 2 projects now, moving slowly. Add life on top if things and it gets crazy quick. Get the easier of the 2 running (sellable) and move it along.
Chris H.
Hi Bill! Wow it's been a long time. Is that '74 the same one you drove down to the Chicago area way back in 2005? We met up at Hooters I think with @GaroldShaffer and some other local people. If so I vote to keep that one and sell the '76 as Root_Werks suggested.

Either way keep the Raby engine. You really can't get those any more. He is booked through 2023 as of now. @McMark lives in Grand Rapids now and has a shop (Original Customs), he could help with the long rust repair. He has a Celette bench so it'd be good as new when he was done.

steuspeed
The 74 would be the one I would keep. You already spent the $$$ on the motor.
GaroldShaffer
Hey Bill bye1.gif

I agree with the others. Keep the 74. Contact Mark at Original Customs. Great to see you still have the 914. Chris, yep it was us three all the way back in '03
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.