Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove/plug fuel return line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Our rust free project is progressing well and considering either removing or just plugging the fuel return line. We did this with a similar FI to carbs conversion on a 1985 Alfa spider. Used a Facet low pressure electric pump with a fuel pressure regulator. Engine is a 2 liter, carbs 40 DCOE, pressure 2.5 psi. She runs out well. Just plugged the fuel return line.

Thank you
barefoot
That's what I did. no need for 2nd fuel line.
bbrock
There are some advantages to keeping the return line even with carbs. One of which is that it keeps your reserve fuel bowl filled so you don't start sucking air before your tank is completely empty. I just dropped this bypass regulator (PMO also makes one for this purpose) in to feed a steady 3.5 psi to the carbs and return the rest back to the tank. Even with stock FI fuel pump it works great.

IPB Image
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371739673458
rfinegan
Return line keeps fuel cool and helps Reduce vapor lock
brant
Return line is superior

Also what the factory did

I’ve posted this 100 times now... with diagrams
930cabman
Thank you all for the information. For centuries we have "dead headed" our fuel lines with carb'd machines, but maintaining a return line appears to have advantages.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rfinegan @ May 24 2021, 07:00 AM) *

Return line keeps fuel cool and helps Reduce vapor lock

agree.gif
porschetub
I used the return to run the power wire for my front fuel pump install,keeps it safe and secure and atleast it has a use .
I often wonder what the factory euro carbed motors used ?.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.