Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Axle boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Just received my order from 914Rubber and the axle boots look small as compared to the single I kept when I dis-assembled them. I took the new one and measured the large side that slips over the CV flange and it is 1 3/4" and the old one measures 2 1/4". I know rubber stretches but before I destroy one getting it over the flange, I thought I would put the question out to the community. Is there more than one size boot? My car is a 70 914-6 and to the best of my knowledge, the axles are stock 25 spline and the CVs are original. Here is the part number...
Click to view attachment
Speedo
Anybody successfully used these new boots? Tried to force the larger end over the CV flange and it doesn't want to happen. Smaller axle end is also going to be a stretch...literally.
914e
The last ones I used had the flange mounted to them. Have you tried putting them in boiling water to soften them up? Just make sure the water dried off before put on the CV joint.
bdstone914
@Speedo

Edit.
I dont think you can strech them that much.
They should not be that hard to install.
Sounds like the boots are make wrong.
Contact 914 Rubber and see if they have had other complaints.
Pelican has them in stock. I need to order a few.

'
914Sixer
The short version is there are two different boots. There is one boot that goes over a smaller metal ring and is clamped on. The other version is the one that goes inside the pressed together inner and outer ring.
Speedo
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 25 2021, 07:49 AM) *

The short version is there are two different boots. There is one boot that goes over a smaller metal ring and is clamped on. The other version is the one that goes inside the pressed together inner and outer ring.

And there is the third option which wasn't necessarily what I wanted. 914Sixer is right in that the larger boot (which is what I wanted) is clamped to the outside lip of the CV flange. The smaller boot is usually sold as a package already clamped to the inside of a different flange. The third option (which is what I received) is simply the replacement boot for choice number two. Hot water or not, it is not the correct boot to stretch and clamp over the outside of the CV flange. Apparently that larger boot is NLA and the smaller boot/package is what is available. PP had it available so it got ordered and the smaller replacement boots will get returned. Thanks for the help guys.
rudedude
You can stretch the smaller boot on, its not easy, it does work and has been an issue for years in the 911 world. Why there isn't a larger boot that works is anybodys guess.
Mikey914
We are buying and reselling them as we can’t make them for what they go for.

Sounds like we should make the larger version that goes under a metal ring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.