Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello! (and what year 914 am I thinking of?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clsmooth

(Mods, if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move)

Hi there,

I thought I’d introduce myself. I don’t have a 914, but when I acquire the appropriate shop space, it will definitely be my next project – and here’s why:

Shortly before or after I finished high school, I went with my cousin to look at cars and try to find something cooler then the 80’s, domestic, $100 box I was rolling around in. We went to a nearby town that, at the time, had the provinces 1st and only legal auto-pawn dealer/broker. It’s not around anymore, but one could legally pawn their car to this… lot? It was kinda junky but kinda neat cause there were cars, trucks and vans from all walks of life.

And in the middle of the lot, was this pretty decent shape 914! I remember a few key things about it still:

- It sat with the windows rolled down for an unknown amount of time. The interior was covered in green moss (and who knows what else)
- Someone built an 8” sub box and slid it behind the passenger seat (no sub in it)
- Supposedly it was complete, but couldn’t see if it ran cause it was pawned with no keys (?)
- Couldn’t open the frunk nor rood

But here are the details that could help answer my question: What year was it exactly? I’ve been trying to look things up online and on here, but I’m getting lost in the sauce. So I figured I’d ask you guru’s on here! I also remember it was:

- Original orange paint with a black top
- The seats and dash were black, but the carpet and panels were beige
- Pretty sure I recall it had chrome bumpers
- 99.9% sure it was a 4 cylinder (I wanna say I saw a 1.7 badge on the back, but I might just be wanting to remember that)

I remember they were asking $2500 for it, but my smart-as-hell cousin talked me out of it. Probably for the best at the time, not the most ideal car for a high school kid with no money. I’d have to tow it home, didn’t really have a place to work on it, who knows if it ran (no keys) and “…this is a fun car, not something you drive everyday. That’s what you need right now…”

So ya, one day I want a rolling shell, or at least a shell that I can build up of the car that got away…

Front yard mechanic
I could hook you up I shades.gif only need a rattle can of orange
Shivers
If it had a badge I think the 1.7 badge came out in 1973, when the 2.0 came out. Orange with a black top and chrome bumpers could be anywhere between 1970-74
Dave_Darling
Orange with a black interior was available every year of 914 production, so that isn't much of a help.

Chrome bumpers says it was either a 70-74, or it was a later car someone had back-dated the bumpers on. Do you remember if they had black rubber "bumper tits" on the front and/or back? The 73 and 74 cars had them on the front, the 74 cars had them on the back as well.

If it was a 1.7, then it would have been a 70-73 car.

If the passenger's seat back was built into the back-pad, it was a 70-71. 72 and later had a moveable passenger's seat that was nearly identical to the driver's seat. Though swapping the later seat in is a popular mod for the early cars. The 70-71 (and some 72) cars also had non-spring-loaded seatbelts.

The most straightforward way to tell what year a 914 is, is to check the VIN tag on the windshield frame. The VIN will almost always start with "47x29....", where "47" means 914-4, "x" is the last digit of the model year (e.g., "47229..." is a 1972 model year 914) and the "29" means it was assembled at Karmann--where all of the four-cylinder cars were.

--DD
JamesM
QUOTE(Shivers @ May 26 2021, 06:37 PM) *

If it had a badge I think the 1.7 badge came out in 1973, when the 2.0 came out. Orange with a black top and chrome bumpers could be anywhere between 1970-74

agree.gif

73 if it had the 1.7 badge

Prior to 73 all 4s were 1.7 so no need to badge them as such
74 the 1.7 went away
Cairo94507
welcome.png Great first post. You have already received all you need to know to try to decipher the year of the car you recall.

The best you can do is to begin reading everything you can on this forum about these cars and all of their uniques issues so when you go look at one you will know a good car and what to avoid. These cars tend to like sitting on jack stands for years, sometimes decades. So the best advice is to buy the best car you can find which you can afford. That will save you time and money in the long run.

Tons of sharp people here who will always jump in with suggestions or advice. The most important thing, have fun and enjoy the process.

Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
clsmooth
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 26 2021, 07:40 PM) *

Do you remember if they had black rubber "bumper tits" on the front and/or back?

I thought about this last night and I cannot recall this anymore. We probably looked over the car for what felt like 15 minutes at the time...
clsmooth
Oh! I figured I'd also share my current baby I'm working on: Vicky

Not a 914, but she's got a flat engine, figured you guys would still appreciated it tongue.gif The real fun starts here though: Resto-mod begins...
Shivers
QUOTE(clsmooth @ May 28 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Oh! I figured I'd also share my current baby I'm working on: Vicky

Not a 914, but she's got a flat engine, figured you guys would still appreciated it tongue.gif The real fun starts here though: Resto-mod begins...

Cool, a doner car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.