Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six vs four
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Please remind me how to tell the difference between a four and six transmission case. Thanks!
76-914
$2500 av-943.gif lol-2.gif
IronHillRestorations
They have a threaded hole for the throttle pivots shaft, and the shift mechanism at the tail isn’t like the 4cyl
mepstein
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 27 2021, 08:28 PM) *

They have a threaded hole for the throttle pivots shaft, and the shift mechanism at the tail isn’t like the 4cyl

I think the early fours also have the pivot hole.
What is the difference on the model number?
I just need to identify a bare case.
Retroracer
As I recall the casting is different along the centerline underneath - there should be an extra lump on -6 version, as well as a different part number?

Also, as @76-914 points out, $2500.

- Tony
davep
Three things that I look for are the serial # which is a 7xxxxxx # for a six, The serial is either stamped along the bottom rib or off to the side on a flat made especially for it, and the bell housing usually has a protrusion on the right side low down (perhaps a cable guide).
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(davep @ May 27 2021, 10:16 PM) *

Three things that I look for are the serial # which is a 7xxxxxx # for a six, The serial is either stamped along the bottom rib or off to the side on a flat made especially for it, and the bell housing usually has a protrusion on the right side low down (perhaps a cable guide).

Perfect. Thanks!
Cairo94507
Here is what is should look like on a Six:

Click to view attachment
davep
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 27 2021, 11:06 PM) *

Here is what is should look like on a Six:

Not all, but I would like to narrow the range down (a lot) from between 7500215 to 7501454; up to 215 I have photos of the serial along the rib as is usual for a 914 trans. I just need serial photos of many more six trans.
The feature on the case is also present on the early version:
Click to view attachment
These were 911 trans cases albeit with the breather vent relocated.
ClayPerrine
That "Feature" on the trans bell housing on the sixes, and the loop on the side cover, are there because Porsche was using the same case on the 70 and 71 911, with the 225mm pull type clutch. That is the anchor for the end of the 911 clutch cable and the loop is the cable guide.

The ones on the fours were a Porsche design from 69, that was built by VW. And they have the markings to prove it. If you look in the bell housing on a 914-6 transmission, the pad that the ball stud is in is oval shaped. The clutch arm pivot on the 70-71 911 was mounted in a slightly different place.

You can combine a 70-71 911 trans with the pull type 225mm clutch with 914 side shifter parts and make a transmission that will work on anything up to a 3.2 engine using factory parts. The drawback is you have to use the 70-71 911 pressure plate and release bearing. And the release bearing is well over $300.00 for a new one.

But you do get a 914 that doesn't need a pulley on the side of the transmission. So the clutch tube in the chassis has no stress on it and is just a guide tube.

Yes, I know this works. I have one that I took out of my car still attached to a 73 2.4 MFI motor sitting on a dolly in my garage. I used a 76 911 clutch cable to hook it up.
mlindner
Not to go off topic of Identification but are gears and final drive the same. Thanks, Mark
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mlindner @ May 29 2021, 08:51 AM) *

Not to go off topic of Identification but are gears and final drive the same. Thanks, Mark

The six has a GA second gear and a Z fifth gear.

The four has a F second gear and a ZD fifth gear.

Clay
mepstein
Found one in my stash. Is this a six case or a converted 911 trans?
gms
mepstein
QUOTE(gms @ May 29 2021, 02:26 PM) *

Thought so. Thanks
gandalf_025
This, from my car.... # 619

Click to view attachment
914werke
isnt the shatf hole on the intermediate plate?
fixer34
Took these today while I was pulling all the calipers to send in for a PMB rebuild.
March '70, 0836. Mine has a small V notch on the casting extension, not the circle.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
davep
Thanks very much for those images of the trans #'s. That pulls the start of the reinforced case back much earlier. Interesting about the V-notch. That feature is not used on the 914/6, correct?
fixer34
QUOTE(davep @ May 30 2021, 07:58 PM) *

Thanks very much for those images of the trans #'s. That pulls the start of the reinforced case back much earlier. Interesting about the V-notch. That feature is not used on the 914/6, correct?

I don't believe there was anything ever attached there and I've had mine over 40yrs.
gms
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 30 2021, 06:00 PM) *

Took these today while I was pulling all the calipers to send in for a PMB rebuild.
March '70, 0836. Mine has a small V notch on the casting extension, not the circle.

Pete don't you own 0826?
gandalf_025
Forgot to post this..
This is from 7500630

Click to view attachment
fixer34
QUOTE(gms @ May 31 2021, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 30 2021, 06:00 PM) *

Pete don't you own 0826?

Yes, thank you. I shouldn't post after spending all day wrenching... 9140430826
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 30 2021, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ May 30 2021, 07:58 PM) *

I don't believe there was anything ever attached there and I've had mine over 40yrs.

No, it is not used on the 914-6. The 914-6 used the same transmission cases as the 70-71 911, and that used the tab on the bell housing to anchor the clutch cable. The v-notch was there because Hans never machined out the boss for the 911 clutch cable.

Clay
mepstein
I found one in the stash. Also has a v notch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.