Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Single Line Fuel Pump Configuration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whathaveidone
Hi Everyone,

I have another 'show my ignorance' question. The project car I bought had the fuel lines replaced (which was nice), and the fuel lines attached to the engine (also great). I think the previous owner replaced the fuel lines was going to move the fuel pump to the front since the lines currently go right to the engine.

My car is pretty stripped down, with no fuel tank/pump installed. I am trying to get it to start or even sputter, but I'm concerned that I may not have the lines run correctly.

I have a 2 port fuel pump; gas in one end, out the other, then I have a Y in line connected to the 2 fuel lines that go back to the engine.

Do I need some form or return in the system? Any chance I am compressing a lot of air up near the engine?

I know I have good pressure, know I have spark, and have pulled the spark plugs a few times and they were dry every time.

Does the fuel routing sound right? If it is, any ideas on what I should look at? I believe the engine was refurbished from the look of it.

Thanks!
-Pete
brant
one line is a return
It sounds like your description is that you are using a Y and both fuel lines to feed the motor

is it fuel injected still?

no matter which injection or carb... a return line is better.. and absolutely necessary on a FI car.
bbrock
For a front mounted 2-port pump, the routing would connect the large fitting on the bottom of the fuel tank to a fuel filter and then to the inlet of the pump. Pump outlet goes to the large fuel line in the tunnel. On the engine bay side, the large tunnel line connects to a bypass pressure regulator (either stock for FI or aftermarket for carb). Regulated side of the regulator goes to FI or carbs, unregulated side connects to the smaller tunnel line. Back up front, the small tunnel line connects to the small fitting at bottom of fuel tank. The Y-fitting is for a 3-port pump so you don't need it.

I agree a return line is best regardless if you run FI or carbs but as Brant said, it is possible to run carbs without one but you lose some benefits.
whathaveidone
Exactly the info I was looking for, thank you!

I had assumed I had it wrong. Does the return line vent pressure or will the gas circulate? Just my curiosity getting the best of me smile.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(whathaveidone @ May 28 2021, 02:19 PM) *

I had assumed I had it wrong. Does the return line vent pressure or will the gas circulate? Just my curiosity getting the best of me smile.gif

If hooked up correctly, the return line routes excess gasoline back to the tank. This helps with keeping the fuel cooler and reduces the likelihood of vapor lock.
smile.gif

bbrock
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 28 2021, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(whathaveidone @ May 28 2021, 02:19 PM) *

If hooked up correctly, the return line routes excess gasoline back to the tank. This helps with keeping the fuel cooler and reduces the likelihood of vapor lock.
smile.gif

And the part nobody talks about is that there is a little leaky bowl at the bottom of the fuel tank that the return line dumps into to concentrate the fuel as the tank gets low and lets you drain the tank before you start sucking air.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.