Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fools and their money are soon parted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
And on top of outrageous BAT prices, some poor sap will pay a buyers premium to drag this home.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-914-39/
Andyrew
There are enough parts on the car to make it worth the asking price... The dash and seats look pretty good. Thats 1k there. Engine(Runs in video) and trans, all the glass, plus wheels and the body itself.

I dont think its an unheard of price for a complete "running" car...
Shivers
Oh wow, it's that rare plywood addition. Some good parts
rgalla9146
Wow. Many have started with much less and achieved great results.
This is not a PT Barnum sale.
The key here........ as always....is rust.....not even mentioned ?
If it is not rusty the buyer could do much worse.
Lets encourage newcomers and enthusiasm.
Costa05
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 28 2021, 04:17 PM) *

Wow. Many have started with much less and achieved great results.
This is not a PT Barnum sale.
The key here........ as always....is rust.....not even mentioned ?
If it is not rusty the buyer could do much worse.
Lets encourage newcomers and enthusiasm.

agree.gif
SirAndy
20 years from now that'll be a perfect restoration candidate.

It has all the parts.
Strip it, replace the longs and floorpans, repaint, and you have a solid driver.
popcorn[1].gif

SirAndy
IPB Image

IPB Image

wonkipop
agree with those saying lots of parts there.

alternative to cancer surgery (boy there is a lot of tumours), just go get a skeleton without rust and transfer flesh.
apologies - spoken like an aussie.
its an honest display of photos, so no-one is getting sucked in.
but whats the bet it might have been given an icing job to gloss over the issues sometime along the way and now core of the cake is busting out again.
hopefully that moment did not suck someone in.
rhodyguy
Imagine what it looks like under the rocker covers. AC, ugh. Spend the other 30k+, that you WILL spend, and then drive your new to you car NOW.
nditiz1
Will there ever be a point where the 76 models will become more valuable due to limited run OR since they have BUBs and the 73 2.0 are much more desirable they stay their lane?
Tdskip
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 29 2021, 03:21 PM) *

Will there ever be a point where the 76 models will become more valuable due to limited run OR since they have BUBs and the 73 2.0 are much more desirable they stay their lane?

Think the pricing hierarchy is pretty well established at this point.
wonkipop
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2021, 02:02 PM) *

Imagine what it looks like under the rocker covers. AC, ugh. Spend the other 30k+, that you WILL spend, and then drive your new to you car NOW.

some guys want the joy of a project?

but you are right. you would fix up a six in that state. i don't think it even has longs behind the rockers?

still, its an intact car in terms of a lot of hard to find parts.
its interior looks to be in remarkable condition (apart from the rolls royce decor touches).

at the price it currently is, you could take it apart and rack and stack it.
carr914
I''ve seen worse, but I'm surprised the BaT accepted it.
jrmdir
Sold for $6,100 + buyer's premium = $6,405. Plus transportation if the buyer was not within towing distance.

Makes me feel much better about just buying my '73 project for way less!
Andyrew
Alright that sold for about twice what I thought it would...

Makes me feel better about my non 914 I just bought....
wonkipop
did maths out of curiousity.
i bought a 74 1.8, 35.5K m, i owner in 89 for $5,500 usd.
= $11,845 in 2021 usd.

i got ripped off in 89, paid double the dollars to get 5% of the rust. spewing. if only i had known i could get ferrous oxide 40 times cheaper if i'd just waited.
rgalla9146
It is a big rusty project.
I hope the buyer is young, skilled and employed.
Is this sale a good indicator for all of us ?
ClayPerrine
Click to view attachment
jrmdir
This one will be fun to keep an eye on. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334020302830?hash=...vYAAOSwHO5gsq3v

A lot of bids but still in the "parts car" range. But what's really good is the seller's description. Title says Black, eBay description says Green and it's obviously neither.

Plus "unmolested original" with no FI. But the best is "car appears to have low original miles 26k" bs.gif

Ron
jrmdir
Wow - final price turned out to be perhaps even more bizarre than the John Deere car sale. Seller apparently got away with the "has rust" comment without posting any photos. (But probably not too bad since it's an Oregon car rolleyes.gif )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334020302830?hash=...=p2047675.l2557
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.