Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 76' 1.8T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spocknasty
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the 914 world but not to Porsches as Marketing Manager at Soul Performance Products. I have an 84' Colt GTS Turbo that I was considering building up but given the rarity and the fragility of the entire car it's best to enjoy as is. I was also looking to build another Miata but the pricing has gotten out of hand and why travel the same road twice? While working at the Carlisle Swap Meet I came across Okieflyr's build for sale and knew it would scratch the itch I've had for a long term project car.

IPB Image

I've always been in love with stylish, vintage interiors and clean builds. Miatas have an incredible wealth of beautiful pieces from craftsmen readily available and collecting rare pieces was enjoyable when I worked in that market. You can see more details on the Miata here. I'll do my best to craft a bespoke and beautiful cabin in the 914.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Here's the 914 as she stands. She's got good bones and I look forward to enhancing the car in many ways. For now the plan is cleaning it up until winter downtime when some serious work can start.

2003 GTI 20th Anniversary Edition 1.8T
Passat Trans
Boxster Shifter

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

If anyone has any nice parts - I'm always interested in fine wares. Thanks for reading!

-Mike
nditiz1
This looked like a great car and had I been looking for a 914 this would have definitely did it for me.

As far as enhancements I'm not sure what more is needed on this unless you meant to paint the front and rear to match. I noticed a little bubbling near the flares, but not enough to make me want to delve in. I would just get in and go driving.gif

I'm not sure how it shifts and drives, but I do know the mk4 engines very well and the 1.8T 20v engines are fun. You could enhance that engine with some minor upgrades to add 30 - 40 HP. The 20th anniversary engine is nice, but no different than any of the other 1.8Ts from that era. Sad to hear that there is one less 20th out there, but it happens.

Would love to see more pics.

Spocknasty
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 29 2021, 07:12 AM) *

This looked like a great car and had I been looking for a 914 this would have definitely did it for me.

As far as enhancements I'm not sure what more is needed on this unless you meant to paint the front and rear to match. I noticed a little bubbling near the flares, but not enough to make me want to delve in. I would just get in and go driving.gif

I'm not sure how it shifts and drives, but I do know the mk4 engines very well and the 1.8T 20v engines are fun. You could enhance that engine with some minor upgrades to add 30 - 40 HP. The 20th anniversary engine is nice, but no different than any of the other 1.8Ts from that era. Sad to hear that there is one less 20th out there, but it happens.

Would love to see more pics.

Thank you! Kevin did a great job on it. Let me know what pics you'd be interested in. I'm considering building an engine on the side in the future for 300-350 WHP. At the least I'd like to clean up the vacuum lines, replace the plastic coolant pieces that can cause issues, and upgrade the clutch and flywheel. It's tuned so it's putting down decent power being relatively stock.

There is much to be done and with my weapons grade ADD I'm always looking to keep busy and improve things. Working in the industry and constantly looking at what customers are doing and lusting at Singer's craftsmanship for years has been whetting my appetite to do some custom work.

At some point I'd like to strip the car down and resolve any rust issues and repaint while adding a new mil-spec wiring harness. Kevin did well to get it running and provided wiring documentation but the execution has me worried about chasing down any gremlins or in the future. The car lacks half the mounts to store the top in the trunk so should I be caught out in the rain I'm worried about the electrical repercussions there. I have an entire spare 914 wiring harness to reference and will find one for the GTI to compare. Ideally I'd catalog everything and provide clear documentation for anyone interested in doing the swap in the future. The seats are precariously mounted and for safety reasons I'm exploring options - likely Recaros of some sort.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I installed a Numeric Racing shifter + pedals and a Rennline shift knob which really sharpened up the driving experience. The connection between the cable ends and custom cables is a weak point which has already stripped out once so I'll have Numeric make a custom cable over the winter.

IPB Image

Titanium components should arrive soon for a custom exhaust system - when you work at an exhaust manufacturer you pretty much have to. A few odds and ends are on the way from 914Rubber. I'm working on the main targa seal now and it's...not fun.

IPB Image
Spocknasty
Give credit where it is due: Beautifully done refreshed targa latches and gas tank strap buckle from @bdstone914

IPB Image
Andyrew
Cant wait to watch the progress!

Congrats again on a GREAT buy on a GREAT car!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.