Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Measure Rear Sway Brackets (75-76) ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I'm looking to see if someone could please measure the rear sway bar brackets for the late 75-76 cars? Specifically I need the length centers between the welded-on nuts.

I'm trying to work out the mounting of an after-market (slightly larger than stock) rear sway bar onto my '72 (which didn't come with any SB originally btw). Clay tells me he has the same bar and that the early brackets will not work with it, but he hasn't looked in to it any further than that.

The bushing brackets look stock and I'm trying to see if their holes would match up to the holes for the '75-'76 chassis brackets (which I could then place anywhere they need to be).

Chris914n6
The stock rear bar is the same for all years plus the hardware. The welded in body mount is different only because of the reinforcements added for the 75-76 bumper shocks -- so the mount is just flat without the bend up to connect to the trunk floor.
You can make the body mount out of anything that fits. The 70-74 only has 1 frame hole for the nut to clear and the rest is in free space rearward.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 29 2021, 12:31 PM) *

I'm looking to see if someone could please measure the rear sway bar brackets for the late 75-76 cars? Specifically I need the length centers between the welded-on nuts.

I'm trying to work out the mounting of an after-market (slightly larger than stock) rear sway bar onto my '72 (which didn't come with any SB originally btw). Clay tells me he has the same bar and that the early brackets will not work with it, but he hasn't looked in to it any further than that.

The bushing brackets look stock and I'm trying to see if their holes would match up to the holes for the '75-'76 chassis brackets (which I could then place anywhere they need to be).

Here what my 76 measures Click to view attachment
Literati914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 29 2021, 07:59 PM) *

The stock rear bar is the same for all years plus the hardware. The welded in body mount is different only because of the reinforcements added for the 75-76 bumper shocks -- so the mount is just flat without the bend up to connect to the trunk floor.
You can make the body mount out of anything that fits. The 70-74 only has 1 frame hole for the nut to clear and the rest is in free space rearward.

Hi Chris, yea I'm up on the differences.. it's just that IF I can buy the 75-76 chassis brackets, I can place it just about anywhere I need to, 'cause it is flat. I can make the mounts sure, but I already have a million projects and there are some on sale at the moment - (I'll custom make some IF the stock one are no good for my bushing brackets).

Literati914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 29 2021, 08:55 PM) *

Here what my 76 measures Click to view attachment

Hey @Front yard mechanic .. thanks for the pic, unfortunately I need the distance between the nut-holes only. . Hate to bother you again but, could you take a measurement of that distance, so I can compare to my bushing-brackets?' please?

Front yard mechanic

Here ya goClick to view attachment
Literati914
THANKS F.Y.M.!! smilie_pokal.gif

ClayPerrine
The aftermarket bar is not as wide as the factory bar. The drop links sit farther inboard. It doesn't fit the factory mounting plates on the body. It is too narrow.

So I am looking for a bigger rear bar to replace the factory one.

Clay
Chris914n6
56mm on the aftermarket bits I bought.

partwerks

Hole spacing for the 75-76 brackets are 2 3/16" C to C.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 30 2021, 10:34 PM) *

IPB Image

That is not a factory rear bar. The rear bar mounting points were never changed in the whole run of 914s, and they were never put in to the floor pan like that.

Clay
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 31 2021, 10:50 AM) *

IPB Image

That is not a factory rear bar. The rear bar mounting points were never changed in the whole run of 914s, and they were never put in to the floor pan like that.

Clay

No Clay, that's not a factory rear bar - but it IS the bar in question here... the bar you and I are trying to make fit, right? At least it looks like the one I have (mine measures 18mm thick btw). This looks like a good solution too. I'd still weld a plate inside the trunk (above the spacer).

If your car has factory mounts then NO those originals won't work with this bar... Factory mounts are about 39.5" apart, while these will need to be appx 34" apart (I measured yesterday). NOTE: with this being said, the drop link ends (on the aftermarket bar) are still only slightly narrower than the stock bar and it looks like 'washer spacers' will be able to compensate.

Thanks @partwerks for posting the measurements and your solution.

partwerks
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 31 2021, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 31 2021, 10:50 AM) *

IPB Image

Clay

No Clay, that's not a factory rear bar - but it IS the bar in question here... the bar you and I are trying to make fit, right? At least it looks like the one I have (mine measures 18mm thick btw). This looks like a good solution too. I'd still weld a plate inside the trunk (above the spacer).

If your car has factory mounts then NO those originals won't work with this bar... Factory mounts are about 39.5" apart, while these will need to be appx 34" apart (I measured yesterday). NOTE: with this being said, the drop link ends (on the aftermarket bar) are still only slightly narrower than the stock bar and it looks like 'washer spacers' will be able to compensate.

Thanks @partwerks for posting the measurements and your solution.

The previous owner had it rigged up that way. Had the head of the bolts welded into the trunk floor.
Maybe you could make a bracket that is welded on the channel, and would extend over to where it would mount to the swaybar bracket. I wouldn't recommend welding the bolts in the trunk floor.
With the year of your car would be a bit different due to the bumper stiffener on the 75-76. It was Minnie Moused.
gandalf_025
That looks like the way H+H Sway Bars were installed.
I put front and rear on my car in 1973 ....
Still on the car now..
Literati914
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 31 2021, 12:41 PM) *

The previous owner had it rigged up that way. Had the head of the bolts welded into the trunk floor.
Maybe you could make a bracket that is welded on the channel, and would extend over to where it would mount to the swaybar bracket. I wouldn't recommend welding the bolts in the trunk floor.
With the year of your car would be a bit different due to the bumper stiffener on the 75-76. It was Minnie Moused.

My car's not a 75-76.. I specified those simpler mounts because I realized they would be more universal.. but after looking at your picture some more, I'm thinking that the early mounts could probably be used (just moved in-wards to 34" distance apart), and the 'step' that they have would eliminate the spacer that's been used in your set up.

Could you comment and or shoot a picture of the drop link situation on your car? I notice that the aftermarket bar is slightly shorter at the arm than stock (like 1" each side), so I'm wondering if that'll effect the attachment to the ball-end mounting bolt (shock attachment bolt)?

@partwerks
partwerks
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 31 2021, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ May 31 2021, 12:41 PM) *

My car's not a 75-76.. I specified those simpler mounts because I realized they would be more universal.. but after looking at your picture some more, I'm thinking that the early mounts could probably be used (just moved in-wards to 34" distance apart), and the 'step' that they have would eliminate the spacer that's been used in your set up.

Could you comment and or shoot a picture of the drop link situation on your car? I notice that the aftermarket bar is slightly shorter at the arm than stock (like 1" each side), so I'm wondering if that'll effect the attachment to the ball-end mounting bolt (shock attachment bolt)?

@partwerks

Click to view attachment
Literati914
Thanks again!

I do have the "square" brackets that your picture shows, but ONLY THE BAR SIDES headbang.gif , I guess the seller thought I could make due without the ones at the shock bolts! sigh...

I'd thought of removing those brackets all together and just use the stock ball and cup (@ shock mount side of drop links only), because the drop links are the same design as stock. Though I may have to shim the drop links out just a bit at the bar end to make up for the narrowness of the aftermarket bar (with spacers and longer bolts there).

Anyway, I have a basic plan and will be ordering the old style chassis mounts.. which was the point of this thread in the first place. Thanks again guys!

Chris914n6
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 31 2021, 12:12 PM) *

Turn the brackets 90* so they won't bend at the bends.
partwerks
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 31 2021, 11:59 AM) *

Thanks again!

I do have the "square" brackets that your picture shows, but ONLY THE BAR SIDES headbang.gif , I guess the seller thought I could make due without the ones at the shock bolts! sigh...

I'd thought of removing those brackets all together and just use the stock ball and cup (@ shock mount side of drop links only), because the drop links are the same design as stock. Though I may have to shim the drop links out just a bit at the bar end to make up for the narrowness of the aftermarket bar (with spacers and longer bolts there).

Anyway, I have a basic plan and will be ordering the old style chassis mounts.. which was the point of this thread in the first place. Thanks again guys!

I assume this is the part you are looking for?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.