Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy Memorial Day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
As we enjoy backyard BBQ'S or hanging out with the favorite garage project; take a moment and raise a toast to our guys +gals, those whom have passed/ and those keeping us safe + sound. Here's a little poem from someone in Airframe + Powerplant maintenance "Keep 'em Flying " from the F4 Phantom days, what a machine ¡

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Just a side note on my fave F4 Pilot, Robin Olds. His mustache style has been known to appear within younger groups of pilots in current days biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Gint
Did a little cleanup. Happy Memorial Day Marty and everyone!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Gint @ May 29 2021, 05:20 PM) *

Did a little cleanup. Happy Memorial Day Marty and everyone!

flag.gif thank you Sir !
mate914
Thank you for keeping US free! I like the A-10 myself. We have the same moto, "Go ugly early".
Matt flag.gif beer3.gif
73-914
QUOTE(mate914 @ May 30 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Thank you for keeping US free! I like the A-10 myself. We have the same moto, "Go ugly early".
Matt flag.gif beer3.gif

I'll never forget the live fire demo we got in Ft.Knox with a "Warthog"
Dion
Happy Memorial Day to all who have and are serving.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 29 2021, 06:10 PM) *

As we enjoy backyard BBQ'S or hanging out with the favorite garage project; take a moment and raise a toast to our guys +gals, those whom have passed/ and those keeping us safe + sound. Here's a little poem from someone in Airframe + Powerplant maintenance "Keep 'em Flying " from the F4 Phantom days, what a machine ¡

Click to view attachment

My dad did a 12 carrier tour in 12 months in 67 including the Forrestal when she caught on fire and they pushed John McCain's A-4 overboard. He flew with the pilots from ship to ship including the F-4. He said it caught him by surprise because the weight of it dropped it off the bow probably 30ft on takeoff, then the thrust pushed it and he saw nothing but blue sky! Most of his memories are caught on film because that's what he did while in for Naval Intelligence...he would joke that the term was an oxymoron at times but was amazed at the coordination of the flight crews and how they kept safe in such an environment.
Here's to all that served and have served...thank you so much for all you do.
Maltese Falcon
What a disaster that '67 event was @mgp4591; then the 1969 Enterprise carrier fire, not to mention the dramas on carrier Ranger /danger mad.gif
Skyhawks, Vigilantes and F4s knocked out & 134 crew lost on Forrestal . I had a HS bud that went KIA in Viet Nam 03.08.71, along with the pilot of their OH-6A Cayuse helo. Prayers to them all
mgp4591
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 30 2021, 09:42 PM) *

What a disaster that '67 event was @mgp4591; then the 1969 Enterprise carrier fire, not to mention the dramas on carrier Ranger /danger mad.gif
Skyhawks, Vigilantes and F4s knocked out & 134 crew lost on Forrestal . I had a HS bud that went KIA in Viet Nam 03.08.71, along with the pilot of their OH-6A Cayuse helo. Prayers to them all

And the Oriskany as well...they helped with the firefighting on the Forrestal and the medivac operations, just as the Forrestal had helped with the Oriskany paint locker fire in years before. Karma pays off when you help a brother in need...
rick 918-S
We are only free because of those who selflessly gave their lives in Service. It is up to us to remember and Honor their Service. Thank you for your Sacrifice flag.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 31 2021, 05:09 AM) *

We are only free because of those who selflessly gave their lives in Service. It is up to us to remember and Honor their Service. Thank you for your Sacrifice flag.gif

Well said Rick. Many people either take this for granted or through ignorance do not understand Freedom. No other country in the world has the freedoms we enjoy mostly due to those who have served. Thank you to all our servicemen/women through the ages.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 30 2021, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 29 2021, 06:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

My dad did a 12 carrier tour in 12 months in 67 including the Forrestal when she caught on fire and they pushed John McCain's A-4 overboard. He flew with the pilots from ship to ship including the F-4. He said it caught him by surprise because the weight of it dropped it off the bow probably 30ft on takeoff, then the thrust pushed it and he saw nothing but blue sky! Most of his memories are caught on film because that's what he did while in for Naval Intelligence...he would joke that the term was an oxymoron at times but was amazed at the coordination of the flight crews and how they kept safe in such an environment.
Here's to all that served and have served...thank you so much for all you do.

@Maltese Falcon
Thanks Marty for posting that poem, I have never seen that before and I am from that era. Was in the USN and served as an ADJ, better known as a "jet engine mechanic".
Had the pleasure to work on those J79 Phantom engines and many others in squadrons as well as on shore and on board engine maintenance facilities. Among others was stationed at NAS Miramar,, known at the time, and one tour on the USS Hancock CVA19 off Vietnam. Thanks for bringing back the memories. I join you in a "toast to our guys +gals, those whom have passed/ and those keeping us safe + sound".
PS Shared a hangar with the Blue Angles in FL, who at the time flew the F4 so have special affinity to that bird. I always thought the F8 was a pretty awesome bird too. Try standing next to that J57 bolted to an outside test stand in after burner. You never forget that!

@mgp4591
Was off Vietnam a couple years after your dad. Your dad was there during the heaviest of times. Fair winds. I also join you "Here's to all that served and have served"
KELTY360
My niece had a great picnic at her house on Discovery Bay. She presented me with a Valor Quilt a friend of her's made to commemorate my service (RVN '71-'72). I was touched and honored at the simple presentation and while I was thanking them and sharing my experience we heard a sharp shriek and a bald eagle performed a low level flyby directly overhead! It couldn't have been choreographed more precisely.

Here's a pic of the quilt and my Stetson Cav hat from the helicopter unit I was in.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.