Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash switches replacement inserts? (headlights, fogs, hazard, lighter)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
Are replacement inserts available for worn switch inserts (where the paint/printing is worn off)?

Or any pro tips on how to restore the paint/printing on original inserts?

I searched, but didn't see any past discussions. Maybe I'm searching the wrong keywords?
Cairo94507
I seem to recall these were the same inserts used on VW's of the period. Might be worth a look. beerchug.gif
mepstein
You can repaint the script with white plastic paint and a toothpick.
dhuckabay
I bought a bucket load of switches and epoxied the proper insert into the old switch. Really solved a problem as I was having the devil of a time finding the switch with the right indicator. The cig lighter was the worse. Have a bucket load of switches minus two left for the future.
wonkipop
patina mate.

the heavily worn cig lighter with the ronson graphic is so authentic-al-ly 70s. chain smoker owner wore it out?

later they came up with a slightly effeminate cig with a swirl of smoke as the signage. give me a break. not as good. if you can't find the ronson then like the man says get the toothpick out and redo the original.

i've noticed cruising the vw parts websites when you get to that section the cig lighter is always the later version. no good. just ask clint eastwood.

mine has a slightly worn ronson but a mint shiny ashtray. go figure. the original owner either tossed their butts or just sat their playing with the cig lighter like it was some kind of comfort thing. or the factory mucked up the paint on the knob and it just fades off. i smoke but never in the car, too busy driven. no way would i lose that ronson knob on a 914 for anything, smart phone charger whatever. world war 2.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 29 2021, 08:39 PM) *

You can repaint the script with white plastic paint and a toothpick.

That's the kind of pro tip I was looking for.

My initial though was to dip the insert into paint and then squeegee it off so that all that would remain is the pain sitting in the grooves. I still may try that first. I think that might look more factory (the paint would be more evenly distributed within the grooves). My only concern with this application is that the paint could also sit within every micro abrasion and then the insert looses it's overall color.

I'm going to try both approaches. I'll share the results.
Ansbacher
I just recently purchased a brand new cigar lighter with the Ronson (Zippo?) lighter image on it. Can't recall the source, but they are out there.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.