Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914racer
I have a 71 914-4 that I am converting to a 6. I would like to change the steering column and ignition switch to a 6 style but I am not sure of all the parts I would need. If anyone has a list it would be appreciated.
Thanks
a914racer
mepstein
Ben can help you with the fab. @mb911

Unfortunately the six parts like ignition switch, column, turn signal and wiper switch are pricey.
ibmiked
Keep in mind that they built a few /6 cars in '72 with the /4 steering column so if you need a rationale for not doing the swap there it is. wink.gif
mepstein
And you want to use an early porsche steering wheel or similar.
ClayPerrine
I did this on my 73. The column is easy, just take the mounts off a 911 column, and weld on the mount from the 4 cylinder column.

The ignition switch is not quite as easy. When I did it, there was no one making the dash place for the switch. I found a /6 dash frame and used it. But Restoration design now makes the ignition switch mount that you can weld into the dash.

The rest is just wiring everything up to work.

Good luck.

Clay
Mark Henry
I'm collecting the parts but it's not on my high priority list, mostly because you have to take the dash right apart.
Below is some of the parts I've collected.

Ignition switch dash part, weld in mount, Restoration Design
Column clam shells, 914rubber
Early 70's column, used, lock receiver area needs to be modified/welded.
Mid 70's ignition switch, but I'm still looking for the wiring harness and it needs to be re-keyed.
Turn switch, used.
Wiper switch, used. Both could use new stickers.

Still need a steering wheel and hockey puck, plus likely a bunch of other little bits.
mb911
I know I have an extra set of switches and clam shells. No column though
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 3 2021, 07:52 AM) *

I'm collecting the parts but it's not on my high priority list, mostly because you have to take the dash right apart.

Mid 70's ignition switch, but I'm still looking for the wiring harness and it needs to be re-keyed.
Turn switch, used.

Still need a steering wheel and hockey puck, plus likely a bunch of other little bits.

Any 914 steering wheel will work.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 3 2021, 11:24 AM) *

Turn switch, used.

Clay

True but a Porsche flat hub wheel will fit properly. The mid and later wheels are a vw hub and will fit but not quite correctly. Porsche hubs have a 90 degree angle that matches the steering shaft. The vw hubs have a chamfer that matches the vw sized steering shaft.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2021, 11:49 AM) *

Turn switch, used.

Clay

True but a Porsche flat hub wheel will fit properly. The mid and later wheels are a vw hub and will fit but not quite correctly. Porsche hubs have a 90 degree angle that matches the steering shaft. The vw hubs have a chamfer that matches the vw sized steering shaft.

With the factory switch clam shells isn't the hub of steering wheel larger on the /6 steering wheel?
Or am I missing yet another part?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 3 2021, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2021, 11:49 AM) *

Turn switch, used.

Clay

With the factory switch clam shells isn't the hub of steering wheel larger on the /6 steering wheel?
Or am I missing yet another part?

No. You leave off the 914-4 plastic hub and use a 911 metal turn signal ring. 6 wheels are identical to early 4 wheels except part number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.