Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Fender Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PaulFV8
I'm sure this has been discussed before, so my apologies for starting this question again. From what I have read, not all steel "M471" flares are made from the same stamping. Do you have a favorite or preference? I need to order a set soon

thanks
mepstein
Choices are (nos) oem Porsche or auto Atlanta
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the factory ones are slightly off left to right. We found that out when scanning them in Detroit before making the tooling. Ours are mirror images.
john77
I just flared my car with a set from Auto Atlanta. They needed a bit of work to get them to fit properly where the flare transitions into the existing fender, but nothing too crazy.

My biggest gripe would be where the stamping folded the metal into itself at the bottom of the arches. It's on the bottom of the flare once fitted to the car, so you can't obviously see it unless you look, but unless you're okay with rolling the dice and leaving folds in the metal that water could get into over time, you (or your body shop) will have to cut the folds out and repatch them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jaredmcginness
Nice fix on those folds John.
Root_Werks
Installed a few of the AA flares, they go on nicely.
jeff
I just received some from Auto Atlanta, do they all come so wavy ? I just took them out box and I believe it will take a tremendous amount of work to get them to look nice . Could this be a bad batch ? Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
@jeff that's a normal part of forming the flares. Look at factory flares if you can find them.

Attaching flares is not a light project and yes, will require work to install.

AA flares go on much easier than factory flares.
mepstein
Yes, all that way. Normal bodywork needed.
VaccaRabite
If you think that's a lot go find a set from the factory....

Its just how the press works, and comes out really easily.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.