Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 914-6 restoration v1.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clsmooth
After a bit of searching, I can start my build thread!

It was a bit of searching, but I found a clean ’72 shell out of West Virginia and had it shipped. At least, I’m pretty sure it’s a ’72 – that’s what I’ve been told, but I’ll know more once I start digging into it. The whole thing was already sandblasted & primed, so bit of a bonus there. I think the previous owner had plans but couldn't go through with them anymore.

I’m gonna go a factory-restoration route, I think it’d be really good practice before I get my 2nd one; that’ll be more of a restomod I’m already brainstorming.

So far I’ve managed to get it into the garage and up on jack stands.

IPB Image
Jett
It’s missing a roof… did you replace the front clip?
dhuckabay
Going to be a tight fit
clsmooth
QUOTE(Jett @ Jun 2 2021, 09:04 PM) *

It’s missing a roof… did you replace the front clip?

Well, you know, other people's projects... what do you do...
rhodyguy
Original 6. Body in yellow. Chrome bumpers and gas burners. Assembly required.
clsmooth
I managed to get the body off the frame.

IPB Image

Gonna give it a once over and should be able to start bolting things to it. I don't have room for the body right now though, but a buddy of mine with a bodyshop who was going to help me paint it anyway let me store it at his shop. He's pretty into these older cars too, said he can source me bumpers and a rood
clsmooth
With the help of some friends and a neighbour, we were able to get the frame flipped upside down so I can work on it's underside.

IPB Image

I'll be getting ready to seal up the underside shortly.
clsmooth
Got the underside sealed up. Left the mounting points for now so as to have a smooth install of parts later. They'll be touched up then.

IPB Image

I also managed to touch up the underside of the spare tire well too.
clsmooth
So while I was sealing up the underside, I got a knock on the garage door. The transmission I source arrived!

IPB Image

It was advertised as an original with low mileage, and boy original is right. I don't know where this thing sat but the casing got completely oxidized! I'm gonna have it sent out and check over just to make sure everything's OK with it.
clsmooth
I sourced a couple of rear trailing arms. They came with axles in em, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cause they're seized in there.

IPB Image

Ordered some new wheel bearings and hubs from RockAuto though. I'll see if I can press them in myself.

IPB Image
914e
This might be one of the truly rust free 914s. Very hard to find.
KELTY360
Did you post the VIN?
JOEPROPER
Future C.O.T.M.
Root_Werks
Looks like you're starting with a pretty clean 914, nice!
Jett
First time that I have seen what appear to be chrome Gas Burners, or did Al Reed polish them with clear coat?
clsmooth
While waiting for the transmission to get back from being checked out at the shop, managed to clean up the trailing arms, pack the wheels bearings into the hubs and mount the hubs.

IPB Image

The axles eventually came out with some motivation. For peace of mind I replaced them with new ones.

And to help mount them up, sourced from Koni red shocks.

IPB Image
clsmooth
Bit of a score! Found a locally rebuilt 6 shortblock! piratenanner.gif

Painted the block and engine cradle black so that the aluminum heads would really pop in the engine bay.

IPB Image

IPB Image

New clutch and flywheel from RockAuto. The transmisison came back with a clean bill of health and mated the 2 right away!

The tranny mount that came with is was all dried up from sitting. Found a nice red poly mount for it that came part of a kit. With the frame still upside down, fitted the transmission body mount bushings with a rubber mallet.

IPB Image
bkrantz
QUOTE(914e @ Jun 11 2021, 02:03 AM) *

This might be one of the truly rust free 914s. Very hard to find.

No such thing--there's gotta be rust in there somewhere.
clsmooth
With a heave and a ho, managed to get the frame flipped back right side up, and then got on a role where I didn't want to stop!

Lowered the frame to mount up the engine and transmission. Bolted up the trailing arms into the body and axles in to the transmission. Got my Koni red's in there and hooked up the shift linkage.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Managed to press in and install poly mounts at the engine mounts, transmission mount, trailing arm-to-body mounts, and shift linkage bushings. New rear brake rotors to boot.
clsmooth
Getting the front ready now, should be a lot easier since it's less involved.

Thanks to RockAuto I was able to assembly everything with new parts! New bearing pressed into the hub and matching Koni red's in the front.

IPB Image
clsmooth
Sourced some used aluminum front control arms! They've also seen better days though. Looks like more oxidization from sitting.

IPB Image

Just waiting for the bushings to arrive for these guys. (Of course, red poly one wink.gif )
clsmooth
Front control arms are in! Cleaned them up, pressed in new poly bushings, installed the shocks, and new brake rotors.

IPB Image

IPB Image
clsmooth
Wheels are in!

I found chrome 5 spokes where the spokes themselves have a machined finished. Popped in some new centre caps.

IPB Image

Looking forward to seeing how they look on the car after I get tires mounted! It'll be nice to get everything off of jackstands finally.
Jett
QUOTE(clsmooth @ Jun 15 2021, 08:37 PM) *

Getting the front ready now, should be a lot easier since it's less involved.

Thanks to RockAuto I was able to assembly everything with new parts! New bearing pressed into the hub and matching Koni red's in the front.

IPB Image

Those rotors look like they need to be turned/resurfaced
Root_Werks
One of the faster builds I've seen! Should be on the road in no time.
clsmooth
With the body still at paint and the car sitting on jack stands, decided to take advantage of the space and installed my stacker intakes and carbs! After hunting around K&N's site, found 6 small air filters that do the trick.

IPB Image
clsmooth
The wheels are back with new rubber!

I think they turned out pretty good. Nice blend of modern and classic.

IPB Image

IPB Image
clsmooth
Oh man, that finally-off-the-jackstands feeling...

IPB Image
clsmooth
Front firewall's in place. Also got the pedal assembly together. That's A LOT easier to do when nothing else is in the way yet.

IPB Image

Sealed up the frunk and went with some green pedal covers, bit of an added grip.
clsmooth
Carpet's in with the fixed passenger seat.

IPB Image
clsmooth
Driver's seat came back from upholstery and installed.

IPB Image

Also installed the centre console, shifter and hooked up the handbrake. Found a matching green shift knob
clsmooth
Well, I encountered my 1st rust problem, the hell hole walls were gone on both sides. Not salvageable. Found some aftermarket replacements online and welded them in.

IPB Image

While I was at it and this section was apart, found a used rear strut tower from a buddy, painted it and got that installed too.
clsmooth
Painted and coated the hell hole walls. This part wasn't easy, glad it's done.

IPB Image
Jett
Are you installing a fire suppression system?
clsmooth
Got the door panels back from the upholsterer too. I think they match the carpet pretty good.

IPB Image
Root_Werks
Nice, speaker pod grills match the other accent colors!
clsmooth
The body's back from paint! I gotta say, they really knocked it outta the park!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I wanted to go with something that's both a bit classic and modern at the same time
(if that's even truly possible).

Had the front emblem shaved and had the door handles colour-matched. Little touches I've always like that's a bit of a modern touch.
clsmooth
The bumpers are done too. Had the rear bumper's trim re-chromed, had to pay through the nose for a new chrome trim for the front. Oh well...

IPB Image
clsmooth
Test fitted the door panels before I put the body on. These look good to go.

IPB Image
Dion
QUOTE(clsmooth @ Jun 19 2021, 11:23 AM) *

The wheels are back with new rubber!

I think they turned out pretty good. Nice blend of modern and classic.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Are those Michelin XZX? Nice score! Great progress. Prolly quickest build in history here!
rjames
Are you doing any chassis stiffening mods? Hard to tell from the photos but I’m betting there’s a bit of flex in the frame.
slowrodent
Very enjoyable! Bravo! Put a smile on my face through the entire grueling process
clsmooth
Finally got the body on the frame!

IPB Image
IPB Image

Bumper painted and mounted as well. It took FOREVER to convince insurance to get me a new windshield and then took another FOREVER to find one. That was definitely the biggest hold up so far.
clsmooth
One of the last pieces of the puzzle finally showed up from Germany... the exhaust!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
clsmooth
Fired her up, broke everything in, and pull her out to the driveway to take some pics.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Looking forward to v2.0...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.