Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay Board repair 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
I have an exposed area of the relay board where a previous soldering was done. Should I use liquid electrical tape or potting compound to seal it? The existing potting compound does have some cracks and is dry and brittle. I think a quick fix of some liquid electrical tape would work but I want to make sure I can get whatever I use off in the event that I have future problems with the board and wish to restore it. Right now the board works but if I don't seal the copper traces I am sure that won't last.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Use any electrical potting compound you like. I think just about any modern one will hold up to the conditions in the engine bay.

--DD
914Sixer
You need to clean ALL the tar off. You will be surprised what you will find.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 3 2021, 05:20 AM) *

@Medtner3

Easy way to clean off the tar is put the board in boiling water. If you do it on a stove place the board in with tar sode up. Let it soak for a while use gloves and a chisel to scrap off the tar. Be carefull to not catch any of the traces.

It is a 5 minute job. An old crock pot works well.
930cabman
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 3 2021, 07:04 AM) *

@Medtner3

Easy way to clean off the tar is put the board in boiling water. If you do it on a stove place the board in with tar sode up. Let it soak for a while use gloves and a chisel to scrap off the tar. Be carefull to not catch any of the traces.

Thank you for the tip, I will following this method
Medtner3
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 3 2021, 08:04 AM) *

@Medtner3

Thanks Bruce great tip I guess the consensus is go ahead and strip it all off not just patch a little bit and fix it for the next fifty years

I was leaning that direction
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.