Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal canister?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Freezin 914
Any guesses on why someone would put the charcoal canister in the engine bay? I want to put it back up front by the tank. Just not sure why it was moved to the engine bay. The expansion tank looks to be newer (plastic) with a plastic gas cap. Also thinking about replacing the cap and filler neck back to metal type… any suggestions??
bdstone914
@Freezin 914
Yours is a later car and that is where the factory installed them.
Moving to up front is a big job with no gain. You dont have the mount on the tank for it or the lines that run under the rocker panel.
StarBear
Front bumper suggests a 73 or 74 (engine bay location) but expansion can suggests 75 (frunck location). Possibly the expansion can was replaced?
See thread on location and hose setup from a month or so ago.
BillJ
Late 74 and early 75 cars have been known to interchange parts. My 75 January car has an early tank for example. It is certainly possible he got a late tank.

I have a decent early expansion tank if you are interested but it likely will not work if you have the mount points of a late tank.
Freezin 914
Car is a 74. Have had a few 74 cars all had canister by tank. I will check the engine bay, I thought canister was attached to engine cover springs?? I will stop by the car today to get a picture.
Thank you guys for the input, please keep it coming, no mechanic here……need all the help I can get.
JeffBowlsby
As Bruce mentioned above...yours is a late VIN 1974 car. It rightfully has the plastic expansion tank and the charcoal can in the engine bay on the rear firewall from the factory. It likely also has the salt and pepper pattern carpeting. These were some of the rolling changes made during the 1974 model year.
Freezin 914
This forum is the best, it does have the salt and pepper carpet as well. Great, now I can f I can focus on bothering everyone with my suspension questions as I try to rebuild it all…thanks again for sharing all your wisdom and experience.
Root_Werks
In redoing my 1975 914-6 conversion, noted pretty quick there wasn't a CC. When the fuel tank was pulled, also noted none of the evap system was connected. Pretty important system unless you want to smell fuel in the garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.