Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Steering Wheel Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pierce
What is the best leather steering wheel cover for a 914 that can be purchased and stitched on by me?
windforfun
I used two different sized Wheel Skin covers over the original leather. I thoroughly cleaned the original leather, then attached the smaller cover, then attached the larger cover & stitched it up according to the supplied directions. I didn't stitch up the inner cover. The sandwich looks & feels fantastic.

The cover offered by AA is poorly made (too many needle holes that aren't perfectly matched from front to rear in number of holes) & requires old leather removal. I ordered one of these & returned it. The leather was really thin too.

I've used Wheel Skin covers many times over the years. They're easy to install as long as you don't tangle up the thick waxed nylon thread for the stitching. There's also an internal thicker nylon thread in the glued edges that prevents ripping the leather. BTW, this design is also patented. They're made out here in Berkeley CA.
bbrock
Stay away from Alan Gun kits too. The kit would have been very nice if the holes didn't look like they were punched by a drunken monkey. I made mine work but it took a LOT of patience and extra effort. I do like the felt padding under leather of their RS kit but not worth the extra frustration.
jims914
QUOTE(Pierce @ Jun 3 2021, 10:45 AM) *

What is the best leather steering wheel cover for a 914 that can be purchased and stitched on by me?

Check out Allan Gun

7027 West Broward Blvd . #292 Plantation Florida 33317
Toll free 1.800 780 4500 Tel 954 474 4277 Email agla@gate.net
Whatsapp 954 298 2486 Facebook @ Custom Steering Wheels

I have done a number of wheels and have been very satisfied.

CUSTOM RESTORATION LEATHER STEERING
mepstein
I purchased an Allen Gun kit years ago. Holes going off in every direction. Cheap leather. I gave it to my dog but she turned her nose away when she saw the poor quality.

Dallas custom isn't always 100% perfect but they do a very nice job at a fair price. I've done a half dozen wheels with them and they continue to be my go to.

Oh, AG took months and many emails to actually send me my kit.
Pierce
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 3 2021, 06:58 PM) *

I used two different sized Wheel Skin covers over the original leather. I thoroughly cleaned the original leather, then attached the smaller cover, then attached the larger cover & stitched it up according to the supplied directions. I didn't stitch up the inner cover. The sandwich looks & feels fantastic.

The cover offered by AA is poorly made (too many needle holes that aren't perfectly matched from front to rear in number of holes) & requires old leather removal. I ordered one of these & returned it. The leather was really thin too.

I've used Wheel Skin covers many times over the years. They're easy to install as long as you don't tangle up the thick waxed nylon thread for the stitching. There's also an internal thicker nylon thread in the glued edges that prevents ripping the leather. BTW, this design is also patented. They're made out here in Berkeley CA.

Thank you for the information!
windforfun
QUOTE(Pierce @ Jun 5 2021, 04:25 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 3 2021, 06:58 PM) *

Thank you for the information!

You're welcome. You might be able to find Wheel Skins at your local auto parts store, but the 914 wheel is a little "odd" in size. This is really why I had to use two of them to get a nice feeling tight fit. Measure the outer diameter & the grip diameter & I think you'll conclude that you'll need the slightly smaller grip diameter cover & the slightly larger one if you want to go with stock off-the-shelf covers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.