Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 6 mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhuckabay
In a picture of the past Clay made mention the mirror may not be correct. I could not figure out how to attach a pic to a PM, so here we are.

Is this an original, if not what does an original look like?

Thanks
JohnClick to view attachment
aturboman
Early mirrors are defined by a much more acute 90' angle between the head and base stem as indicated in the red circled area.

Effectively its similar to a mitered corner in wood working, this is the later style with a curved 90'

Hope this helps.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Mirror size also determines if it is early or late. Early is smaller.
dhuckabay
QUOTE(aturboman @ Jun 3 2021, 04:18 PM) *

Early mirrors are defined by a much more acute 90' angle between the head and base stem as indicated in the red circled area.

Effectively its similar to a mitered corner in wood working, this is the later style with a curved 90'

Hope this helps.

Click to view attachment

Many thanks. I now have to see if one can be found. Any clue when the style changed?
Cairo94507
Here is the correct side mirror for early cars- like a '71.
The problem is these mirrors are getting old. Mine are original to my car and the glass is a bit loose. It is on my list to fix. Probably try to shim the glass tight with something you would never see.

Click to view attachment
dhuckabay
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 3 2021, 04:23 PM) *

Here is the correct side mirror for early cars- like a '71.
The problem is these mirrors are getting old. Mine are original to my car and the glass is a bit loose. It is on my list to fix. Probably try to shim the glass tight with something you would never see.

Click to view attachment

Perfect, thanks for the picture. Clay picked it out a distance, am in awe. Think you are right, going to be tough to find. First peek showed nothing.
wonkipop
if you can't find one in usa, i have one here on the other side of the world.
it was given to me gratis 30 years ago by a bloke in wisconsin when people used to give away 914 stuff.

i had it set up initially as my rhd mirror for rhd until i got hold of a correct later mirror.
you just spin it around an back again etc for lh side.
its not absolutely perfect.
the glass has spots.

its no use to me.
you might find yourself a better one in star spangled banner land.
you can PM me if you need to.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
gereed75
Not super hard to find.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=353400

Not sure exactly when they changed - I seem to recall somewhere around mid 71
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dhuckabay @ Jun 3 2021, 06:27 PM) *

Clay picked it out a distance, am in awe.

Don't be. It is just 35 years of fooling with these little cars.

The only difference between early and late mirrors is the elbow. The rest of the mirror is identical. The later mirror elbow moves the mirror slightly outboard from the early mirror.

And you can get kits to replace the glass. I have two early mirrors, one is on Elwood, and the other will be going on the right side of Elwood.

I have never understood the reasoning behind not having a right hand mirror (Or left for those who shift with the left hand). It makes it easier to change lanes and look for the cops.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 4 2021, 07:52 AM) *

The only difference between early and late mirrors is the elbow. The rest of the mirror is identical. The later mirror elbow moves the mirror slightly outboard from the early mirror.

And you can get kits to replace the glass. I have two early mirrors, one is on Elwood, and the other will be going on the right side of Elwood.

I have never understood the reasoning behind not having a right hand mirror (Or left for those who shift with the left hand). It makes it easier to change lanes and look for the cops.

Clay

The early mirror is smaller. Glass is different. Stainless steel back is smaller. Gaskets are different.
Larmo63
Mark is right, almost everything on the older mirror is different.

The base seems to be the same.
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 4 2021, 05:52 AM) *

Clay

exactly.

makes me wonder how i ever drove it with just one mirror 30 years ago when i was doing right hand shifting. i think my 914 was the only car i ever had with just one mirror.
even my old vws had two mirrors in aus. we had J cars in the 60s with the mirrors way out near the front end of the mudguards. an experience! kind of like reverse tunnel vision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.