Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk lid rubber buffer stops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
L-Jet914
I recently purchased the engine deck lid and front hood buffer stops from 914Rubber. I've already successfully replaced the engine deck lid ones. Where in the front trunk do the buffer/bumper stops go in the front front area? I've looked at the PET (802-00 P26, 802-05 P32) and it's not specific as to where they go for the front trunk. OEM part number 91455925310.
Mikey914
In the front left and right corner holes.
L-Jet914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2021, 09:35 PM) *

In the front left and right corner holes.

I have a 74 914. In the front and left right corner holes I have the adjustable stops as indicated by the arrows. Would there be another place for them or did Porsche change something between early vs late 914s? I also bought new adjustable stops from your company as well. I am glad that your company exists for our little cars.Click to view attachment
bbrock
You might have figured this out already, but here is a pic of where those bumper stops go. As you already noticed, they are different from the adjustable stops for the lids.
Click to view attachment
Montreal914
Purpose? confused24.gif Spare tire support?
bbrock
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 9 2021, 06:12 PM) *

A complete mystery to me. They seem about as useful as my nipples. Any theories? confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif
windforfun
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 9 2021, 06:18 PM) *

A complete mystery to me. They seem about as useful as my nipples. Any theories? confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Mikey914

I'm not touching your nipples

In honesty I believe they hold the tire board from rubbing on the bottom of the trunk.
windforfun
Hmm... Let me go look at my "73.

beer3.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 9 2021, 04:51 PM) *

You might have figured this out already, but here is a pic of where those bumper stops go. As you already noticed, they are different from the adjustable stops for the lids.
Click to view attachment

Yours are outside in. They're there to "preload" the front valance. They push against the valance to keep it rigid.
L-Jet914

Click to view attachment

Thank you so much for your answer. That helps me out a lot lol. I was wondering where the last 2 went.
L-Jet914

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
L-Jet914

Click to view attachment

So I took another look at my 74 and saw where they go, but it seems mine are installed the other way with the bumpers facing outside the car and contacting the front valance. So it looks like I will be replacing those as they are currently installed where they contact the front valance. Don't mind the dirt and debris under the spare. I have to clean it out again. She's a driver for the most part right now and no where near concours ready.
bbrock
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 10 2021, 11:42 AM) *

Yours are outside in. They're there to "preload" the front valance. They push against the valance to keep it rigid.

Ah Ha! They do have a purpose! I just need to flip them around. I wonder if I could do the same with my nipples. Kinda bummed Mark won't touch them though. sad.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 05:14 PM) *

Ah Ha! They do have a purpose! I just need to flip them around. I wonder if I could do the same with my nipples. Kinda bummed Mark won't touch them though. sad.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
L-Jet914

I just read windforfuns reply after I posted my photo. I also read through your build thread and it looks like I will need to install the missing drain tubes under my spare tire as well. My guess is they disappeared over the years here in CA.
windforfun
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Jun 10 2021, 05:37 PM) *

I just read windforfuns reply after I posted my photo. I also read through your build thread and it looks like I will need to install the missing drain tubes under my spare tire as well. My guess is they disappeared over the years here in CA.

I don't have any drain tubes under the spare tire. I don't think tubes are stock. Do you mean drain plugs? Plugs are what I have. FWIW.
bbrock

I've had 3 914s and all were missing those drain tubes. Didn't know they existed until researching for my rebuild. A word of warning about them though. I've had my car back in the road almost exactly two weeks after a 35 year intensive oxidation nap. Every time I walk out to the car in a parking lot, I see those tubes and for a split second think, WTF is hanging down under my car? rolleyes.gif
914Toy

Thanks for the comic relief biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 05:50 PM) *

I've had 3 914s and all were missing those drain tubes. Didn't know they existed until researching for my rebuild. A word of warning about them though. I've had my car back in the road almost exactly two weeks after a 35 year intensive oxidation nap. Every time I walk out to the car in a parking lot, I see those tubes and for a split second think, WTF is hanging down under my car? rolleyes.gif

My "73 has only two drain tubes which exit the bottom of the car just behind the steering rack cover. One is for the air box (internal condensation) & the other is for the gas tank filler cap apron.

beer3.gif
bkrantz
This thread is getting racy, with talk about nipples and things hanging down underneath. w00t.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 10 2021, 07:18 PM) *

My "73 has only two drain tubes which exit the bottom of the car just behind the steering rack cover. One is for the air box (internal condensation) & the other is for the gas tank filler cap apron.

beer3.gif

These little guys
IPB Image

It's unclear whether there are supposed to be 1 or 2 under the frunk pan. There are two identical size holes so I installed 2. It's possible one of the holes should have a plug instead. Like many of these little rubber parts, they seem to be missing from the PET. Another bit of German engineering being design to bend backward as the car moves down the road and create suction in the tube to suck the water out of the frunk.
wonkipop
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 09:35 PM) *

beer3.gif

These little guys
IPB Image

It's unclear whether there are supposed to be 1 or 2 under the frunk pan. There are two identical size holes so I installed 2. It's possible one of the holes should have a plug instead. Like many of these little rubber parts, they seem to be missing from the PET. Another bit of German engineering being design to bend backward as the car moves down the road and create suction in the tube to suck the water out of the frunk.

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
when the car is moving, neg air pressure drains any moisture out of the spare wheel well.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well. the suction is not created by them bending backwards but by the slit aperture.

the tubes are i believe still available today from porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911. and they used them on something else too which i forget.

you might be right about them not being in parts diagram. my mechanic recognized what they were on mine when we had it up on the hoist. i had to glue one of them up as it was starting to crack after all this time. but both were still there.
mepstein
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 11 2021, 08:33 AM) *

beer3.gif

These little guys
IPB Image

I believe 914 rubber carries them

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
when the car is moving, neg air pressure drains any moisture out of the spare wheel well.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well.

the tubes are still available today rom porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911.

you might be right about them not being in parts diagram. my mechanic recognized what they were on mine when we had it up on the hoist. i had to glue one of them up as it was starting to crack after all this time. but both were still there.

mepstein

beer3.gif

These little guys
IPB Image

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well.

the tubes are still available today rom porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911.

I believe 914rubber also has them
wonkipop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2021, 06:42 AM) *

beer3.gif

These little guys
IPB Image

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.

I believe 914rubber also has them

yes its funny what you can get and from who.
porsche buy them from 914 rubber and then sell them on to dumbo australians?
if you are stoopid enough to rebuild the dopey spare tyre windscreen washer system, all the back flow valves for the rubber tubes to the washers you can still buy direct from porsche. yet serious sh%t you need,......like um, ........injectors its a shrug of the shoulders.
windforfun
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 08:35 PM) *

beer3.gif

These little guys
IPB Image

Interesting... Thanks for the education.

idea.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 11 2021, 05:33 AM) *

there are two.
they are venturi tubes.
my guess is that the idea behind it is to drain melted snow out of the well if you change tyres in winter, ...... something like that. i mean what else would cause water to accumulate in the spare wheel well. the suction is not created by them bending backwards but by the slit aperture.

the tubes are i believe still available today from porsche, they drained the headlight buckets on a 911. and they used them on something else too which i forget.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they work on combination Bernoulli's Principle and venturi effect. I am probably over thinking but thought the bending (which they do when the car is at speed) would place the open slit at the trailing edge of an air foil created by the bending and perhaps maximize the suction of the air blowing by. Plus, fresh air blowing across the dangly bits probably feels good to the car.

Being an Aussie, you are forgiven for not knowing how else moisture gets in the frunk, but anyone who has lived in a cold and humid climate does. Condensation and frost get on every surface and will accumulate water in places like the frunk in surprising quantity. Luckily the cars were designed by Germans who know about such things beer.gif

I got mine from 914Rubber.
Mikey914
Thanks for your support. We have found many of these little parts that are needed and continue to make more. Have a few other new small parts that will be done next week!
Jamie
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 11 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks for your support. We have found many of these little parts that are needed and continue to make more. Have a few other new small parts that will be done next week!

And be sure to install with the slit parallel to the steering rack so that they can properly suck out the moisture while driving! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.