Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AFR Guage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am looking for something to set my carbs. Lm1 use to be the go to. What does everyone use now?
914Toy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 4 2021, 04:18 AM) *

I am looking for something to set my carbs. Lm1 use to be the go to. What does everyone use now?

I installed the INNOVATE DLG-1 which includes two O2 sensors (one for each header) and gives simultaneous readings for both sensors. I ordered the 8' long harnesses that extends to the dash fir mounting the gauge.

I had some problems with the sensors until I extended the bungs to 1" depth (per their advice) - see pic.

I learned that this system is key to knowing how the carbs are working - thus assisting accurate tuning of my Weber carbs.

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
My best experience with an AFR with gauge was the Ballenger:

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id/2337

I had one back when it was originally NGK (I think?) and I'm told it's still working great on that race car ten years later.

I've had poor experience with Innovate's products; they tend to burn up sensors. I'm told it's because their head control is not very good. They tried to blame it on my placement (it was within their specs) and use (nothing unusual) and finally they wanted me to pay something like $80 for a spacer to get it farther out.

I told them to pound and replaced all four cars with 14point7's Spartan and it has been a delight.

https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-l...da-controller-2

Unfortunately, those do not have display heads; I use them exclusively with either a race data acq system and/or input to ECU/Micro/Megasquirt.

I've used the AEM UEGO, as it has a 0-5V output. Worked fine for me, I kept it until I replaced it with a Spartan.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/wid...uel-controllers

I suggest the Ballenger if you want a good one, or AEM if you're looking for value-priced.
mb911
Thanks. Not understanding your 1" spacer comment. What I see in the picture is a standard 02 bung fitting? At least it is on my products
brant
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 4 2021, 11:45 AM) *

Thanks. Not understanding your 1" spacer comment. What I see in the picture is a standard 02 bung fitting? At least it is on my products

I would love more details on the bung extension also...

that also looks like a standard set up to me..

what was it like before?

brant
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 4 2021, 06:18 AM) *

I use an LM-1 on all my cars. It may be a little old, but it works perfectly.

Clay
GregAmy
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 4 2021, 12:56 PM) *

This is what they wanted me to buy after burning through two Bosch O2 sensors in 6 months.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/h...category_id=250

I have not had that problem with other wideband systems.
Mark Henry
Ben if you just want to borrow one PM me your address.
But I do need it back by August 1st.

It will give an idea of the cost of shipping etc. if I decide to put some rental units out there. I'm not going to charge you anything but if I buy a muffler a slight discount will be much appreciated. I can also lend you my jet reamer set but I won't have the jets, etc at this time.

Right now I'm thinking of charging peeps $125 for 3 weeks rental with jet reamers, a jet assortment, some emulsion tubes, idle jets, weld in bung, bung plugs, etc in the kit with parts sold "a'la carte". This will be like a dry run to see if it's worth the hassle.

BTW my jets are all hand reamed, I never bothered to get the "correct" numbered jets.
I would buy F3 emulsion tubes and the venturis size you want to try now. the 34mm a good size for hot cams or try 32mm.
Below is my jetting on a twin plug 3.0

Weber 40mm IDA
-new carb kits,
-34mm venturis,
-155 main jets,
-F3 emulsion tubes,
-180 air correction,
-55 idle,
mb911
Mark,

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on an AEM unit. I will try it out. Also let me know what you need for a muffler. I have one in route to you right now for Warren so hopefully you will get some insight.
914Toy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 4 2021, 10:45 AM) *

My SS headers came with approx. 1/2" deep bungs (1/2" of thread). The threaded length plus the probe of the O2 sensors is about 1" long. Thus the O2 sensor probe extended well into the gas stream (exhaust flow) about 1/2". After discussion with Innovate tech guy, I bought one of their simple 1" bungs (looks like a pipe coupler) with the correct thread, carefully cut it into two 1/2 inch bungs and had each of these welded onto the 1/2" inch bungs already on my headers - the pic shows the weld if you look carefully. As the thread on the O2 sensors is about a half inch long, the added piece of bung is long enough to cynch up the O2 sensor before it reached the thread in the original Bung, so that any misaligned thread from the original bung and the welded on bung piece is not a problem. The result is that the O2 sensor probe only just reaches the gas flow instead of being in the middle of it.
infraredcalvin
I’ve always used innovate products, after 10+ years of ownership my lm2 just developed an issue where one O2 log will freeze after 10 min of logging (I think has to do with the firmware update to use the updated 4.9 sensor), but other than that, never had any issues. They used to come with 1/2 inch bungs which notoriously burned up sensors, they now send 1 inch bungs which are easier on the sensor as they move the bulk of the sensor out of the hot exhaust stream.

If you want data logs, I would highly suggest getting one that logs rpms as well. It’s nice to see what is happening where.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 4 2021, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 4 2021, 12:56 PM) *

This is what they wanted me to buy after burning through two Bosch O2 sensors in 6 months.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/h...category_id=250

I have not had that problem with other wideband systems.

My son bought a name brand O2 meter as it matched the gauges in his car and I was surprised it came with an offshore lambda. This lambda died in short order, since it wasn't even a month old they replaced it for free.
The replacement lambda was a genuine Bosch part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.