Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove fuel canister system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Villemi
Hello,

I'd like te remove the canister system on my late 75 914.

I don't know how to remove it.

Is it difficult ?

I need your help.

Thanks
windforfun
Have tools will wrench...

Just start removing the parts of the system.

The hoses from the front to the rear are under the driver's side exterior skirt or valance. This thing will need to be removed too.

Don't cut your fingers & you might want to wear safety glasses.

shades.gif
Rand
If you can't figure out how to remove something, perhaps you shouldn't. It's not going to make your car faster either way, so leave it alone until you KNOW it. So, why do you want to remove it?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Villemi @ Jun 4 2021, 03:30 PM) *

Hello,

I'd like te remove the canister system on my late 75 914.

I don't know how to remove it.

Is it difficult ?

I need your help.

Thanks

You will be smelling gas fumes if you do. Not a good idea.
L-Jet914
I agree with bdstone914. You will be smelling gas vapors with the canister removed. It's sole purpose is to catch fuel vapors, store them and then reburn them in the air intake system. You can disassemble the canister and add new carbon pellets if you want to, but I would not remove it.
Dave_Darling
On a 75, there is a small line in the center tunnel that goes from the fuel breather tank to the charcoal canister. The 70-early 74 cars have the two larger lines in the driver's rocker panel.

I agree with the above advice: Don't remove it. It does nothing to hurt the car, it helps keep fuel vapor down, and it's good for the air. Win all the way around, to me!

--DD
wonkipop
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Jun 4 2021, 07:02 PM) *

I agree with bdstone914. You will be smelling gas vapors with the canister removed. It's sole purpose is to catch fuel vapors, store them and then reburn them in the air intake system. You can disassemble the canister and add new carbon pellets if you want to, but I would not remove it.

i second that.

those cans single handedly knock out 1/2 the hydrocarbon emissions - with zero effect on performance. they discovered that way back in 1969. they went after the other half after 1969 with ever increasing negative effects on performance, but the can isn't one of them. its an all-round good guy. ------->it might be delivering a 0.5hp boost due to fume injection. smile.gif beerchug.gif confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
Now don’t start that rumor Wonki. Pretty soon some people will want to believe they can supercharge that extra fuel vapor by running it through the heater fan.

lol-2.gif
Rand
In my first years of teenage, I removed EVERYTHING non essential. Including all this, and every other widget from the engine bay... (all the smog shit, the pump, plug the hole, delete the csv, aar, yada yada)
Sigh. We all have to go through it, right?
If only we could save you time...
914Toy
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 5 2021, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Jun 4 2021, 07:02 PM) *

i second that.

those cans single handedly knock out 1/2 the hydrocarbon emissions - with zero effect on performance. they discovered that way back in 1969. they went after the other half after 1969 with ever increasing negative effects on performance, but the can isn't one of them. its an all-round good guy. ------->it might be delivering a 0.5hp boost due to fume injection. smile.gif beerchug.gif confused24.gif

Good on you mate beerchug.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 6 2021, 08:48 AM) *

Now don’t start that rumor Wonki. Pretty soon some people will want to believe they can supercharge that extra fuel vapor by running it through the heater fan.

lol-2.gif

F1 ferrari team are in front of all us - translation of latest eyetellyun high tech breakthrough = "engineered oil leak from intercooler". drunk.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.