Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are these for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgarrison
Hello,

I tried looking in the scans of the manuals I have, but did not see these in the limited images. Does anyone know what these are for? I've circled them in red. I'll also include the original image for clearer viewing. It's a 1974, built 11/73. I'm doing a Subaru conversion, so if they are for the rain tray, most likely would not need them/retain them...

Thanks!

Mike
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
yellowporky
they fold down and help retain the engine firewall pad that is not there.
mgarrison
THANK YOU! The pad was already gone from the car when I got it.

Is the pad what causes the rust on the lower portion of the firewall? I'm wondering because that is the only area on the whole car that really had any rust! Seemed like a really odd location for water to collect to me... confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
The pad does not cause rust, water does that.

The firewall pad reduces engine noise and heat from transferring to the cabin.
bbrock
I like Jeff's answer. The pad can trap water at the bottom of the firewall and promote rust, but we have to ask why so much water is getting in there to be trapped? My belief is that the real culprit is bad engine tin and lid seals or missing or cracked rain tray that lets water in. At that point, the pad becomes an accomplice. Like Jeff said, the pad helps prevent you from going deaf driving around with an engine a few inches behind your ears.

Also, the holes almost midway down is for barbed plastic buttons to go through to attach the pad to the firewall (in addition to those mystery tabs).
Maltese Falcon
Our proj 1974 car had the moisture trapped in the lower Left + Right corners, damage seen here.
We were removing this entire sheet metal section anyway...but not difficult to repair if we chose to keep stock. We will be building a 3-section removable firewall as we need lots of engine room access.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The full Monty...after metal surgery
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Wow!
That's more than I took out for my hatch. laugh.gif
jmitro
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 4 2021, 09:18 PM) *

anyone can cut a huge chunk of metal out. show me the end result and then I'll be impressed biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jun 4 2021, 08:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 4 2021, 09:18 PM) *

anyone can cut a huge chunk of metal out. show me the end result and then I'll be impressed biggrin.gif

Stay tuned here on 914World, we hope to please your critique. As stated, access to this powerplant is key.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 4 2021, 07:33 PM) *

Wow!
That's more than I took out for my hatch. laugh.gif

Just a tad more Mark !ยก
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.