Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light hardware?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
I need a pic of the body mount hardware for the lights, the bracket to the car. The inside looks like a captive nut or something. You can see it under the headlight from the front trunk. Tough angle to get a pic, but it would really be appreciated.

My car, 74 2.0 must have been wrecked at some point and had another front grafted on. It might have been an older one so they used sheet metal screws for mounting the lights that won't hold anymore.

PET, pg 285, seems to say it uses a M10 x 16 pan head screw, some sort of spring washer but does not mention the nut. I may just have to hold one back there manually and hope it holds, maybe use a nylock.

Not trying to make it perfect, just better than it is now.

Thanks in advance for the help.
mepstein
welcome.png
9146C
Is this what you're looking for? (Not my Ad)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-CLEAN-USED-OR...T-/283820942881
NARP74
QUOTE(9146C @ Jun 5 2021, 04:20 PM) *

Is this what you're looking for? (Not my Ad)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-CLEAN-USED-OR...T-/283820942881

That is what I do have. I need the hardware that attaches the bracket to the front of the car.

The screw seems normal, not sure what the spring washer is, maybe just a lock washer. And the nut is captive to the body somehow. Those are the parts and pics I am looking for.
9146C
Thanks for the clarification!

On my '72, the mounting nuts were welded to/integral to the front body panel. The attached photo comes from another post here on 914World.

The red circle indicates the mounting hole for the horn and the green circle indicates the mounting hole for the fog light.

I don't recall exactly the size of the bolt...M10x16 sounds about right for the threaded/welded nut on the front panel.

I don't recall if it was a spring washer or a lock washer...sorry.
NARP74
I found a pic from the front. It looks like the nut is able to float around a bit in the hole. What would help is a pic from the inside under the headlight to let me see how it is captured.
edrotol
I have what you need. The colored part is the body and the screw floats and the attached to your fog light. Let me know.

Click to view attachment
NARP74
Not what I was expecting. Should have gone here first. Been trying to get the answer for a week or two from searches, friends, local owners. Done in 2 hours. I'll send you a note.

Great resource and community!
76-914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 5 2021, 05:09 PM) *

Not what I was expecting. Should have gone here first. Been trying to get the answer for a week or two from searches, friends, local owners. Done in 2 hours. I'll send you a note.

welcome.png We all felt like we'd discovered NIRVANA when we found this site. If the answer ain't here it's probably not been asked yet. beerchug.gif
Jett
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 5 2021, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 5 2021, 05:09 PM) *

welcome.png We all felt like we'd discovered NIRVANA when we found this site. If the answer ain't here it's probably not been asked yet. beerchug.gif

+1! Lol
iankarr
The captive nut for round fog lights is apparently only through 74. For 75-76, the BUBs had rectangular fog lights that lived in the front of the bumper, so the nut below the headlight bucket was eliminated. The shape of the headlight bucket is a little different, too...to make room for the “bumper shock”. welcome.png
L-Jet914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 5 2021, 02:56 PM) *

I need a pic of the body mount hardware for the lights, the bracket to the car. The inside looks like a captive nut or something. You can see it under the headlight from the front trunk. Tough angle to get a pic, but it would really be appreciated.

My car, 74 2.0 must have been wrecked at some point and had another front grafted on. It might have been an older one so they used sheet metal screws for mounting the lights that won't hold anymore.

PET, pg 285, seems to say it uses a M10 x 16 pan head screw, some sort of spring washer but does not mention the nut. I may just have to hold one back there manually and hope it holds, maybe use a nylock.

Not trying to make it perfect, just better than it is now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The washers used on the bolt side are a spring washer. I recently installed a set of Hella 118 Euro driving lights/fog lights on my 74 1.8L. I used all new hardware. Stainless steel allen head bolts M10x16 with new wave washers into the captive nuts. I purchased a wave washer kit from amazon with different sized wave washers grant it I didn't need all of them, but now I have extras.
NARP74
Thanks everyone.
Does the bolt have a shoulder or is it threaded to the head?
I need some more practice reading the PET, the item number for the washer had 23 part numbers in it. Couldn't figure out which one it would be.
NARP74
Thought I would share my solution. This car is never going to be correct or perfect again, it's had a hard life, (without too much money). I am just trying to make it better than when I got it.

Solved the problem for about $4 at the local hardware store and a little time. It is much better than it was as you can see by the pic of what used to hold the lights on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.