Full Version: NPC: D-Day Rememberance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47fan
Truly, the Greatest Generation:

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.cowie.3/post...c&ref=notif
930cabman
True Hero's, everyone of them
Maltese Falcon
Standing with our Allies, they were all Brave warriors indeed !
bkrantz
I called my dad today, who was in the 2nd Infantry Division and went to France not long after D-day. I feel proud of him for so many things, and so glad to still have him around.
MM1
Growing up during the Great Depression, volunteering to fight for our nation after Pearl Harbor - many joining at 16 and 17 years old. . . yes, they were the Greatest Generation . . .and they shall ever be sorely missed and deeply appreciated, by all who knew and loved them, and by those who study and learn the lessons of history.
gereed75
As remarkable as their resolve in the war was, it is just as remarkable what they achieved in the rest of their lives. Maybe it was because of standards of conduct that they established for themselves, or the sacrifices that they witnessed, or what they realized could be accomplished. All the while carrying the burden of what they went through.

My feeling is that we hit a high water mark in this country as that generation came into their prime, and it is a mark that we will never see equaled.
shane
So proud and honored to be a descendant of the Greatest Generation flag.gif HEROES
BeatNavy
Isn't ironic that in very wealthy societies often one of the few things scarce is gratitude?

Just came back from visiting my parents. My dad, who is 87 now, was too young for the war, but he epitomizes that generation. He is feeble and fading rapidly at this point.

God bless 'em all.
76-914
I wish I was half the man those guys were. Tough as nails, grateful, caring, modest and for the most part just damn good people. When my FiL passed we found his service medals that no one in the family knew of. He had never mentioned these to anyone. Nor had he ever spoken of the war. My wife and SiL looked them up and there was one for bravery when he went into a burning plane, removed and saved the pilot. Not one word, ever.
Richard, who is in his 90's and wears his WW2 cap, basks in the sun on our street corner some mornings. The dogs and I stop and spend a few minutes with him whenever he is out there. The dogs love him as he pets and admonishes them. I adore him because he is everything that I love and respect. flag.gif
Shivers
My Dad went 3 years after the war to Germany to rebuild communication systems in the Army. They were still being shot at in the field running phone lines. I guess up on the pole was not a good place to be. Grand Dad fought in the Pacific. God bless those Guy's
JFJ914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 6 2021, 10:05 PM) *

I called my dad today, who was in the 2nd Infantry Division and went to France not long after D-day. I feel proud of him for so many things, and so glad to still have him around.

Your Dad landed today, June 7th, 77 years ago along with my Dad. The 2nd Infantry Division served from D+1 to VE day in Pilsen CZ. I hope your Dad got his share of beer when they liberated the Pilsen Brewery!
slowrodent
My dad was in the 82nd Airborne throughout the war. He made all (possible) 4 combat jumps (including day before D-Day). He was shot and otherwise wounded (shrapnel) on various occasions. I was always been fascinated by his stories as I grew up - more so as I got to be a man myself. Very straightforward, blue-collar, simple-in-the-best-way fellow. Handshake was his word. I will always miss him and the calm-hand perspective he had on living and advice.

That was indeed a superb generation of people.
jd74914
QUOTE(slowrodent @ Jun 7 2021, 11:49 AM) *

My dad was in the 82nd Airborne throughout the war. He made all (possible) 4 combat jumps (including day before D-Day). He was shot and otherwise wounded (shrapnel) on various occasions. I was always been fascinated by his stories as I grew up - more so as I got to be a man myself. Very straightforward, blue-collar, simple-in-the-best-way fellow. Handshake was his word. I will always miss him and the calm-hand perspective he had on living and advice.

agree.gif

@slowrodent Small world. My grandfather made all 4 combat jumps too.

I never knew that until this Memorial Day where at a ceremony in town a current member of the 82nd read a dedication to him. He's one of 13 remaining. flag.gif biggrin.gif

He was also the first person to drop in a Jeep-a crazy story we always wondered about until one day about 10 years ago he found the commendation letter from Eisenhower.

My brothers and I are all very fortunate to have been able to spend so much time with both him and my maternal grandfather who was a B17 pilot. Each tough as nails and just as humble about it.
PaulFV8
Gentlemen, just catching up to this thread, I'm another "son of 82nd airborne". I know 20k guys jumped with 82nd, but what units were you Dad's in? Mine also did four combat jumps and hit the beach at Anzio with the 376th Artillery.

I miss him everyday, and even more yesterday as we had a graduation party for his grandson.

stay safe
thanks
slowrodent
QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Jun 7 2021, 12:58 PM) *

Gentlemen, just catching up to this thread, I'm another "son of 82nd airborne". I know 20k guys jumped with 82nd, but what units were you Dad's in? Mine also did four combat jumps and hit the beach at Anzio with the 376th Artillery.

I miss him everyday, and even more yesterday as we had a graduation party for his grandson.

stay safe
thanks

Paul,
My dad was 82nd, 505 PIR, H Co.

MM1
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jun 7 2021, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Jun 7 2021, 11:49 AM) *

agree.gif

@slowrodent Small world. My grandfather made all 4 combat jumps too.

I never knew that until this Memorial Day where at a ceremony in town a current member of the 82nd read a dedication to him. He's one of 13 remaining. flag.gif biggrin.gif

He was also the first person to drop in a Jeep-a crazy story we always wondered about until one day about 10 years ago he found the commendation letter from Eisenhower.

My brothers and I are all very fortunate to have been able to spend so much time with both him and my maternal grandfather who was a B17 pilot. Each tough as nails and just as humble about it.

Sure wish we had film of your Grandfather making that first manned Jeep drop.
MM1
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 7 2021, 10:09 AM) *

My Dad went 3 years after the war to Germany to rebuild communication systems in the Army. They were still being shot at in the field running phone lines. I guess up on the pole was not a good place to be. Grand Dad fought in the Pacific. God bless those Guy's

My Grandpa, "Tex", was in D-Day+ as a lineman as well . . .I remember him talking about learning to use the spikes and being shot at " like a sitting duck at the top of a pole."

He came back from the war, went straight to work for Bell-South with the skills he learned as a teenager preparing for D-Day, had a family and retired with that same company at 55 years old . . .a gentle and good man - salt of the Earth. My Dad's Dad - Chuck, joined the Navy to fight in the Pacific at 16 years old . . ."fudged" his birthdate like so many young men did after Pearl Harbor. Sure do miss you two - they don't make 'em like you and "the boys" anymore!
rjames
Loving this thread. The greatest generation, no doubt.

My grandfather landed on Iwo Jima as a Navy corpsman alongside the marines. He lasted only a few days there before shrapnel from an explosion tore him open from near the top of his rib cage to his belly button and was sent home. He lied about his age to enlist so he could be with his older brothers and friends.
He rarely talked about any of it other than to joke about the antics of his fellow service men.

When I was 30 and apparently not that bright, I thought it would be fun to take him and my grandmother to see Saving Private Ryan when it came out. The film opens with the Allied invasion at Normandy beach. A few minutes into the opening scene I look over and see that my grandfather has a death-grip on my grandmother's hand. He looked like he was holding on for dear life. I'm sure he was reliving whatever hell he had experienced on Iwo.
Afterwards, testing the waters bit, I asked him if he liked the movie and he just said flatly "That's pretty much how it was".
I felt like the biggest a**hole for bringing him to that movie.
914Toy
This is one of the best threads of the year. I am proud to be a Member (self appointed) of this communicating group.
jd74914
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jun 7 2021, 01:33 PM) *

Sure wish we had film of your Grandfather making that first manned Jeep drop.

Me too.

QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Jun 7 2021, 12:58 PM) *

Gentlemen, just catching up to this thread, I'm another "son of 82nd airborne". I know 20k guys jumped with 82nd, but what units were you Dad's in?

504th PIR; not sure of company.
Shivers
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jun 7 2021, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 7 2021, 10:09 AM) *

My Grandpa, "Tex", was in D-Day+ as a lineman as well . . .I remember him talking about learning to use the spikes and being shot at " like a sitting duck at the top of a pole."

He came back from the war, went straight to work for Bell-South with the skills he learned as a teenager preparing for D-Day, had a family and retired with that same company at 55 years old . . .a gentle and good man - salt of the Earth. My Dad's Dad - Chuck, joined the Navy to fight in the Pacific at 16 years old . . ."fudged" his birthdate like so many young men did after Pearl Harbor. Sure do miss you two - they don't make 'em like you and "the boys" anymore!

My Dad stayed interested in electronics, he went to collage on the GI bill. He did his time with Burroughs computers and retired as head of design for their super computer division. And for the younger folks Burroughs and Sperry merged and became Unisis
Spoke
My dad was drafted in '43 at the tender age of 32. Didn't participate in D-Day but was surrounded in Bastogne during the battle of the bulge in Patton's 10th armored division. He never thought he would get out alive. As such, he cherished every Christmas after that and never worked Christmas Eve and Christmas day at the mill.
Bleyseng
My dad was in Supply and spent 3 days waterproofing trucks, tanks and jeeps that landed on D'Day. He came across on day 3 to move the supplies off the beach to units. He was on those trucks tossing food to the starving Parisians 5 days after the Germans left. Yep he was in Battle of the Bulge too delivering engine parts and some guy was trying to drag them off the trucks to have them fight but my dad (a Master Sergeant) ignored the orders and drove back to Paris. When the war ended he was asked to form a swing band to entertain the troops and he did til late 46 when he came home.
PaulFV8
Guys, thanks for the updates on the 82nd members. The 376th was attached with the 504th Regiment for most of the war. Jim, if you are willing to share more info I will look for your Grandfather in my archives, he might have dropped in next to my Dad somewhere along the way. Thanks to all for sharing your comments and memories.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.