Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 steelies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
Going down the slippery slope of 'just one more thing'...
Started out with replacing the master cylinder since the pedal just about went to the floor, then getting the calipers restored at PMB, then getting new rotors, now I'm thinking the wheels probably should be refinished since I really should replace the 25 yr old tires (with 2k miles on them...)..
JeffBowlsby
Wurth silver
gms
We can strip, blast and powder coat those steelies
mb911
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 7 2021, 03:37 AM) *

agree.gif

Glenn is the guy to go to on these. He has an industrial setup send him an email
Racer
While the standard steel wheel would have been painted, Wurth Silver, they were also available chromed.
Cairo94507
Please don't chrome them......I really like them when they are painted or powder coated silver. I also like them with or without the chrome hubcaps. Great looking steel wheel. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 7 2021, 06:37 AM) *

Hey cool Glenn! Nice to know you are doing this. I might have some wheels I need powder coated as well. Will shoot you a PM.

rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 7 2021, 09:57 AM) *

Please don't chrome them......I really like them when they are painted or powder coated silver. I also like them with or without the chrome hubcaps. Great looking steel wheel. beerchug.gif

........careful there Michael, my car was delivered with chromes. smile.gif
have 4 NOS in stock just in case.
Chrome wheels and stock hubcaps are the best way to make a 6 invisible.
fixer34
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 7 2021, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Jun 7 2021, 03:37 AM) *

agree.gif

Glenn is the guy to go to on these. He has an industrial setup send him an email

Glenn lives about 45mins away from me, and I still have a set of his wrenches he loaned last year that I need to return. So even more reason for a drive.

I have the silver hubcaps, they are in pretty good shape, just a little rust on the backside. I would probably have the rims refinished to original; Worth silver sounds good.
gereed75
Love painted steelies with the hubcaps!!

C'mon guys, make it official, post a picture of what the factory OEM six steelies look like.
Literati914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 6 2021, 08:58 PM) *

Wurth silver

See, here's the thing I keep coming back to... Wurth has multiple options for silver wheel paint. The one that is right may or may not be a matter of opinion. There's one that has an ever so slight tent of blue to it, which is not really noticeable until compared to other silver wheel paints (theirs) - this is the one I'm after specifically. You can see it in the color of Wurth's (spray can) caps/lids. I've read somewhere that the blue-ish tent was used early on, and the other is more of a modern silver wheel color. Just food for thought.

Cairo94507
I just think the chrome plating add weight and typically peels off. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 7 2021, 04:01 PM) *

I just think the chrome plating add weight and typically peels off. confused24.gif

Still, it was very common on 356 and early 911. It’s not really my thing either but better than chrome Fuchs.
enf2232
Four lug, but I had them stripped and powder coated locally. Not an exact match in color but they work for me. Used the silver the powder coater had readily available.
siverson
Were some silver in the center and then have a chrome rim/outside, or is that just a VW wheel or something?

-Steve
Cairo94507
Steve- I think that was just a VW thing. I do not ever recall seeing a set of steelies (which I really like) on a 914-6 with the chrome/polished rings.
Chris H.
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 7 2021, 06:36 PM) *

Were some silver in the center and then have a chrome rim/outside, or is that just a VW wheel or something?

-Steve

That's lools like a late steelie with a 15" aftermarket trim ring on it. Not bad looking actually.
fixer34
Here's how mine looks...
Click to view attachment
oldie914
Some pictures of my 914/6 with steel wheels. Taken about 1972.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mlindner
Oldie914, great shots. And with chains or cables. Best, Mark
rgalla9146
Here's a recent restoration featured in August 2021 Excellence
It's been so long since I had steel wheels/hubcaps on my Blutorange car the pictures are on paper.
Chris H.
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 7 2021, 10:27 PM) *

Here's how mine looks...
Click to view attachment

Yeah you should definitely let Glenn fix those up for you. They'll look brand new. Nice looking jack post/long for a midwest car BTW!
Root_Werks
I agree with what others have said. If you can have them blasted and powder coated, do it. Did that with some 356 and Beetle wheels. Turned out amazing and the powder coating is tough.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 7 2021, 01:57 PM) *

Love painted steelies with the hubcaps!!

C'mon guys, make it official, post a picture of what the factory OEM six steelies look like.

My yellow car that moved back to Kalifornia in November
Maltese Falcon
Gold centers / silver barrels
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
the steelies on 6s are it. even ok on 4s but vw wheel not quite as nice. hubcaps off for certain occasions suited to mood. you can't do jeykll and hyde with fuchs etc.

there was a misguided time when folks just threw steelies away. sad.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 8 2021, 06:04 PM) *

the steelies on 6s are it. even ok on 4s but vw wheel not quite as nice. hubcaps off for certain occasions suited to mood. you can't do jeykll and hyde with fuchs etc.

there was a misguided time when folks just threw steelies away. sad.gif

and one of my former employees cut one ('70s 911) up and made a Fixture-Stand for the fabrication dept. headbang.gif
fixer34
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 8 2021, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 7 2021, 10:27 PM) *

Here's how mine looks...
Click to view attachment

Yeah you should definitely let Glenn fix those up for you. They'll look brand new. Nice looking jack post/long for a midwest car BTW!

Yea, I'm thinking I'll be paying Glenn a visit real soon. And powder coat, not chrome. The picture of the chrome hubcaps against the chrome wheel just don't do it.

As for the longs, the last time the car saw snow (or pretty much anything besides dry pavement) was when I brought it back up from Auto Atlanta in early 1989. Had the hell hole cutout and new piece patched in, plus other overall work. Maybe driven 3000mi since then. Something I've been trying to remedy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.