Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Lug Front Bearing Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
I have a 5 lug setup on 911 front struts. I have never been inside them. I am hearing a very slight noise when I corner coming from my right front, which leads me to believe the front wheel bearing is going.

These are the struts that use a 3 inch caliper mount, so I believe 911 from 1969 to 1980 911 S or SC should work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what bearing(s) to order? I'd like to have the parts in hand before I tear into it.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jun 6 2021, 08:53 PM) *

I have a 5 lug setup on 911 front struts. I have never been inside them. I am hearing a very slight noise when I corner coming from my right front, which leads me to believe the front wheel bearing is going.

These are the struts that use a 3 inch caliper mount, so I believe 911 from 1969 to 1980 911 S or SC should work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what bearing(s) to order? I'd like to have the parts in hand before I tear into it.

Before you replace them try check the play by pulling back and forth on the top of the wheel with it on the round. Adjust as needed.
If you need bearings then identify which struts you have by the part number stamped on them or the date. The inner bearing are not all the same from 69-89.

99905906500 is the outer bearing. You also need to replace the inner seal 477405641.

Retroracer
So before you order: jack the car up, grab the top and bottom of each front wheel and rock back and forth; there should be zero excess play. If you are feeling some movement, remove the wheel and the bearing cap, loosen the lock bolt and tighten the wheel nut per the manual guidance.

911 (and 912) strut lock nuts can sometimes work themselves loose in my experience, and should be checked/tightened regularly. Am not saying don't replace the bearing - just pointing out something to check out first.

BTW, you should be able to pop the outer bearing out - check the part number, clean, load with grease and replace - without removing the caliper. Then you can order a suitable replacement anyway,

- Tony
Shivers
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jun 6 2021, 08:53 PM) *

I'm pretty sure the 911 S in those years had a 3.5" caliper mount
Mark Henry
3" would be 911 T or 914/6 strut that mounts M calipers. I have a set of bare struts and hubs here I could measure for you, I also need bearings.

Could you also measure the lock nut thread size for me as well?
Robarabian
Thank you to everyone.... I will try to dig into this this coming weekend.

@Mark Henry I can if you can wait till I dig in!!

Very helpful advice from all.
Racer
fwiw, 3" caliper spacing strut was used till 1977 iirc. The SC used the 3.5" spacing.

As others have mentioned, check for wear/adjustment first. That said, SPINDLES are spendy, so if you adjust and still hear noise, replace asap before the spindle gets damaged and you need a whole new strut.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jun 6 2021, 09:45 PM) *

So before you order: jack the car up, grab the top and bottom of each front wheel and rock back and forth; there should be zero excess play. If you are feeling some movement, remove the wheel and the bearing cap, loosen the lock bolt and tighten the wheel nut per the manual guidance.

911 (and 912) strut lock nuts can sometimes work themselves loose in my experience, and should be checked/tightened regularly. Am not saying don't replace the bearing - just pointing out something to check out first.

BTW, you should be able to pop the outer bearing out - check the part number, clean, load with grease and replace - without removing the caliper. Then you can order a suitable replacement anyway,

- Tony

agree.gif I thought I had a loose front wheel bearing. Turned out the be the strut lock nut.
mepstein
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 7 2021, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jun 6 2021, 09:45 PM) *

- Tony

agree.gif I thought I had a loose front wheel bearing. Turned out the be the strut lock nut.

Very common issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.