Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Anyone that has any experience using the Regional rate A & B boxes, compared to the flat rate boxes?
mepstein
I mistakenly used one for a cross country package and it cost me a lot. I didn’t know there was a difference. My mistake.
type2man
Regional boxes are cheaper if you are shipping to someone who is a few states away. Regional A comes in two sizes and is cheaper than a medium flat rate box. Medium costs about $14 and regional A is anywhere from $8-12. Regional B comes in two sizes and is a bit bigger than the medium flat rate. It can cost less if the person lives a few states away but it can cost more than a medium if its cross country.
partwerks
How can you tell ahead of time, if you've gone too far of a distance?
type2man
I ship on ebay so it shows me the price and I can see which is cheapest. I think USPS might have a calculator too. Youre in the middle of the country so regional A will never cost more than a medium flat rate, but if you ship to New York or LA in a regional B you might go over the cost of a medium box but I doubt youll go over the price of a large box. The medium is about $14 and the large is about $19.
partwerks
QUOTE(type2man @ Jun 7 2021, 06:41 PM) *

I ship on ebay so it shows me the price and I can see which is cheapest. I think USPS might have a calculator too. Youre in the middle of the country so regional A will never cost more than a medium flat rate, but if you ship to New York or LA in a regional B you might go over the cost of a medium box but I doubt youll go over the price of a large box. The medium is about $14 and the large is about $19.

Are the numbers that are associated with the A & B boxes, the ones below the barcodes to look up?

I stopped at the Post Office, and he gave me three boxes. One is clearly an A. Looks like medium size, 70lbs max.

Other two, he said were B.
Medium size priority mail, and large priority mail??

Are the B boxes clearly marked like the A, or did the person not know what they were doing?
914Sixer
I always ship in regional boxes. Usually $4-$5 per box cheaper. There is no distance limit on them. I ship to East or West coast for $10.89. USPS doesn't want the public to get wind of usage. You can order the boxes on line with NO limitations. They will tell you TECHNICALLY your are not supposed to use them. I used to ship everyday and they never said a word.
partwerks
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 8 2021, 04:39 AM) *

I always ship in regional boxes. Usually $4-$5 per box cheaper. There is no distance limit on them. I ship to East or West coast for $10.89. USPS doesn't want the public to get wind of usage. You can order the boxes on line with NO limitations. They will tell you TECHNICALLY your are not supposed to use them. I used to ship everyday and they never said a word.

I stopped back in today, and another person I know waited on me.
He said two sizes of A and B.
He gave me two sizes of B, that the first person didn't know what they were doing.
I noted that the two B sizes, rectangular, and square, are just a bit bigger than the medium flat rate boxes.

According to the red notes, the square one can be up to 70lbs on domestic, and the rectangular only 20lbs domestically.

I need to go back and get the other size A. The one I currently have is good up to 70 lbs for domestic.

Anybody know what the prices for the two sizes of A and B are?
partwerks
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 8 2021, 04:39 AM) *

Do you have to print the labels, and pay for them online to use regional, or do they charge a fee at the post office to ship it there?

FWIW, I found this video. Might have some merits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUj6JsNQ5k0
914Sixer
I print online and have them scan them in at the USPS office. You have proof you printed the label and that package IS IN route.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 9 2021, 05:34 AM) *

I print online and have them scan them in at the USPS office. You have proof you printed the label and that package IS IN route.

I do this, too. Set up an account with the post office, get a good digital scale and do your own labels. The PO also uses Paypal. So if you are shipping to someone who paid you with Paypal, you can just pay the PO.
Regional Box are good for lighter weight boxes.. They say right on the boxes, Regional A or B. Flat Rate boxes are good for heavier weights.
You can also use UPS simple rate. If the box is under a certain size of cubic inches, the pricing is graduated, and weighs less than 50 lbs.
As an example, I needed to ship some forged Audi control arms to NY. The box was 20X14X4. Thin box. UPS simple rate was $28. USPS or UPS standard rates were about
$46. UPS also takes Paypal as a payment. You don't have to set up an acct. like you do with USPS.

Greg W.
partwerks
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Jun 10 2021, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 9 2021, 05:34 AM) *

I do this, too. Set up an account with the post office, get a good digital scale and do your own labels. The PO also uses Paypal. So if you are shipping to someone who paid you with Paypal, you can just pay the PO.
Regional Box are good for lighter weight boxes.. They say right on the boxes, Regional A or B. Flat Rate boxes are good for heavier weights.
You can also use UPS simple rate. If the box is under a certain size of cubic inches, the pricing is graduated, and weighs less than 50 lbs.
As an example, I needed to ship some forged Audi control arms to NY. The box was 20X14X4. Thin box. UPS simple rate was $28. USPS or UPS standard rates were about
$46. UPS also takes Paypal as a payment. You don't have to set up an acct. like you do with USPS.

Greg W.

You can't just take it in addressed, and they will ship it for you??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.