Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dwell meter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbgoggans
Anyone have a suggestion for a good dwell meter? I’d prefer an analog one,but might have to settle for another Digital one from Harbor freight.
windforfun
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Jun 8 2021, 01:47 PM) *

Anyone have a suggestion for a good dwell meter? I’d prefer an analog one,but might have to settle for another Digital one from Harbor freight.

Did you try eBay?
wbgoggans
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 8 2021, 04:48 PM) *

Did you try eBay?

I looked but not sure if I trust an untested one from someone I don’t know. If someone on here was willing to part ways with theirs that would be great.
windforfun
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Jun 8 2021, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 8 2021, 04:48 PM) *

Did you try eBay?

I looked but not sure if I trust an untested one from someone I don’t know. If someone on here was willing to part ways with theirs that would be great.

Try one that you can return.
930cabman
I found an old school NAPA (Balkamp) tach/dwell meter on Craigslist not too long ago for $25. works perfect
GregAmy
I actually have an old analog dwell meter from long long ago. No need for it (Microsquirt on one car and Mallory disty on the other) so I'd be glad to send it to you fir shipping costs. Better it go to you than electronics recycling (where it will die a crushing pointless death).

PM me if interested.
sjhenry1075
I purchased a nice multi-meter that has a Dwell function that works really well. I think it's important to have a nice meter for trouble shooting so I think it was a gClick to view attachmentood buy.
ClayPerrine
I wish I had known you needed one. I sold the one that my Father had in his tools. It was from about 1973, and worked great. He needed it on his old cars, but I run electronic ignition on everything, so I don't need it at all.

Clay
Don914
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Jun 8 2021, 03:47 PM) *

Lowe's has a Craftsman indicating:

Provides Automotive Specific Measurments: RPM, Temperature, Dwell, Frequency and Duty Cycle
Auto Ranging with True RMS function for voltage and current measurements
CAT III 600V Safety Rating

$52
It is listed as : CRAFTSMAN Digital 600-Volt Cat Iii Multimeter
Item #1916364Model #CMMT14171

It is digital and I expect made in China. Summit Racing also offers similar one. Hate to date myself but mine is made by "Lafayette" electronics, hope it still works.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 9 2021, 08:50 AM) *

I wish I had known you needed one. I sold the one that my Father had in his tools. It was from about 1973, and worked great. He needed it on his old cars, but I run electronic ignition on everything, so I don't need it at all.

Clay

I found another old vintage dwell meter he had. Let me know if you are interested.

Clay
SKL1
Talk about dating us! Can you imagine asking a 100 people what dwell is? Can't imagine more than 2 or 3 out of 100 would have ANY idea what you're talking about!!
930cabman
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 24 2021, 11:03 PM) *

Talk about dating us! Can you imagine asking a 100 people what dwell is? Can't imagine more than 2 or 3 out of 100 would have ANY idea what you're talking about!!

I might differ, many of us are in the "old geezers" category. I prefer a points ignition with carbs and have filed many sets of points to get me going.
Craigers17
I got mine on Ebay, but sold it to someone on this forum several months ago. It was this one:

Click to view attachment

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

This is the same meter referenced in the Pelican Parts article on "Timing and Dwell". Hope this helps.
Olympic 914
Have this Innova timing light that has a dwell feature.

Also has an adjustable advance. good if you are setting timing that is different from the factory marks.

and a digital Tach readout.

https://www.innova.com/products/pro-digital...ing-light-5568a

Click to view attachment
rfinegan
you can have this analog hand held for FREE
Instructions included

Pm me you address
euro911
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 24 2021, 10:03 PM) *

So, would they dwell on the question?

Don't mind me ... I'm on meds today smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.