Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 liter price check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZBanks
I have a 1.7 that was pulled from a running car. It has a bunch of oil leaks and one spark plug hole was messed up in the past. The hole was drilled and tapped for a NAPA insert. At some point the insert broke and the bottom piece is slowly making it's way down into the cylinder. This piece is blocking the spark now causing the engine to run a bit rough The head needs to be pulled and that piece of insert removed before it works it's way all the way down and drops into the cylinder to do a bunch of damage.

A shop near my house was broken into and a customers type 4 engine was stolen.

The shop is interested in buying my engine.

I was planning to keep it to build into a 2.0+ at some point in the future.

My question is, should I sell to the shop and if so, for how much?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jun 9 2021, 03:34 PM) *

I have a 1.7 that was pulled from a running car. It has a bunch of oil leaks and one spark plug hole was messed up in the past. The hole was drilled and tapped for a NAPA insert. At some point the insert broke and the bottom piece is slowly making it's way down into the cylinder. This piece is blocking the spark now causing the engine to run a bit rough The head needs to be pulled and that piece of insert removed before it works it's way all the way down and drops into the cylinder to do a bunch of damage.

A shop near my house was broken into and a customers type 4 engine was stolen.

The shop is interested in buying my engine.

I was planning to keep it to build into a 2.0+ at some point in the future.

My question is, should I sell to the shop and if so, for how much?

id say keep it. Jake R. says the 1.7 is great to build a 2.0 or 2056 from, you will get new heads so you dont worry about the bad spark plug in the head.
keep it and build out a 2.0 or more from it.
all cases are the same , except the register, which can be changed for larger bore cylinders,
Shivers
What ever is fair is cool. I found this boat anchor on evilbay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114201896890?chn=p...ewaAng5EALw_wcB
wonkipop
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 9 2021, 01:55 PM) *

What ever is fair is cool. I found this boat anchor on evilbay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114201896890?chn=p...ewaAng5EALw_wcB

type 4 engines are getting stolen from shops. blink.gif
whats going on in the world. would have been a time they would have walked right past it with their noses turned up. if i was you i'd keep your engine, seems to me they are just going to get harder and harder to find as a good core.
mepstein
I’ve given away a bunch of 1.7 & 1.8 engines. To me, they aren’t worth the shop space for a one day build. If you could get $500, I would do it all day long. The eBay seller is dreaming. If you don’t sell, take it apart and keep what you need. You can put a case on a shelf. An engine takes up a lot of space in a two car garage.
AZBanks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 9 2021, 03:24 PM) *

I’ve given away a bunch of 1.7 & 1.8 engines. To me, they aren’t worth the shop space for a one day build. If you could get $500, I would do it all day long. The eBay seller is dreaming. If you don’t sell, take it apart and keep what you need. You can put a case on a shelf. An engine takes up a lot of space in a two car garage.

It's not the engine and car parts that take up the space, it's the bikes an scooters and Christmas decorations and misc crap. hissyfit.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.