Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full containment seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ThePaintedMan
Hello gents. Wondering if anyone has tried installing a full containment (halo) seat in their car? I'm considering one at some point, but I'm honestly worried that they would be dangerous in the event of a fire, making egress really difficult. It's already not particularly easy to get in or out of my car with the door bars and a regular seat. Anyone have any opinions?
Bullethead
As you say, getting out quick isn't easy with intrusion bars, etc.... so, assuming you're wearing a HANS device, what's your rational for a full containment seat?
ThePaintedMan
I suppose as they've become more and more mainstream, I've just considered it might be an option. Have seen them in everything from IMSA to Spec Miata and thought it was the direction everyone was headed in the pursuit of ultimate safety. But in our case, I think it could actually work against that goal. Yes, I definitely wear a HANS, along with anyone who would ever be driving the car.
wndsrfr
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1heYF7JqF4I

That was with the racing seat with more open sort of "wings" above the shoulder...no support for side to side impact. This was a relatively slow hit, was maybe below 30mph when I hit the tire wall...see how my head flopped even with the HANS?
That convinced me to get a better seat...you can see the difference in containment here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0BU4kyuCY4

Get a better seat. Period.
infraredcalvin
You’re right, they are becoming more mainstream, I’m still trying to get the seat lower while using the factory seat rails.... but I’ve thought recent ly about them as well, with similar concerns.

I know @wndsrfr has a halo seat and a great video with a prime example why you’d want want one. Even when using a Hans your head moves around quite a bit in an impact.

EDIT: whoops, beat me there...

Anyhow, are you running any door bars in your car?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jun 10 2021, 05:12 PM) *

You’re right, they are becoming more mainstream, I’m still trying to get the seat lower while using the factory seat rails.... but I’ve thought recent ly about them as well, with similar concerns.

I know @wndsrfr has a halo seat and a great video with a prime example why you’d want want one. Even when using a Hans your head moves around quite a bit in an impact.

GEEZ...That's telepathy or what?? I posted my vids one minute before your post referencing them....Wooooooo....Wooooo....Wierd!
Jetsetsurfshop
Are you going to remove the wing windows? Seems like they would have to go.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jun 11 2021, 06:42 PM) *

Are you going to remove the wing windows? Seems like they would have to go.

I actually kept the one on the driver's side to limit buffeting...
GregAmy
It is hell getting in and out of my car with a non-containment Butler seat (bolted directly to the floor.) I can't imagine what it would be like with a containment seat (which I do run in my "real" race cars).

How about a compromise of side nets that can be dropped after an incident?

This situation is exactly why I've mounted the seat to ensure my 6'1" frame will fit below the cage with the top off. The vast majority of the time I run top-off so that I can get in and out easily. I'd consider a RaceTech seat if I ran it top-off 100% of the time, but it would nearly inaccessible with the top on.
wndsrfr
Here's a pic of the seat I'm using and also the door bar--at 77 it's a bit of a challenge getting in/out with the HANS on--basically have to kiss my knee to do it.....but once I'm strapped in it's very reassuring, like I've strapped the car on to me. Click the image to upright it...arrgh.
wndsrfr
Another view of door bar & window net...
MichiganMat
Im 6'0" and I don't have any issue with my Sparco halo seat. Results may vary.

A few thoughts:
- I wear a Hans in this car
- I've found that having the roof on or off doesn't seem to make any difference. Thought it would, but it doesn't.
- For me, getting in is generally harder than getting out.
- My seat is mounted to a slider and my floorpan is dropped by 1".
- Seating position is generally upright, I don't like laying back, so the way I have it mounted would generally produce smaller ingress / egress.
- I also don't have any rollbar padding on my car, so that could make a difference in how much space I would have to get in / out.

I have the Tangerine cage which runs really close to the A-pillar. I think that if the cage weren't as tight to the edges it may be difficult to squeak by.

My cabin:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQJlldrFf6c/?ut...g_web_copy_link
jmz
Following
slivel
Whatever equipment you have - full cage, window net, hans device, halo seat, arm restraints, radio comm cord, cool shirt plumbing, if you find it difficult to exit the car I strongly recommend installing a removable steering wheel. For myself, I employed all in my list except the halo seat. I also recommend practicing egress blindfolded. Smoke, fire, dust, or upside down can be very disorienting. Learned this from career in Naval aviation and required periodic training. Helicopter dunker was especially fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.