Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmaney
I am looking for leads or reccommendations on a reputable machine shop or individual that will bead blast/rebuild/paint, working or core 914 front and rear brake calipers. East or West coast. Thanks for your help. driving.gif
Lawrence
Welcome to the BBS!

A quick question for you... have you considered doing the job yourself? It's not a very difficult job.

-Rusty smoke.gif
tmaney
Yeah, I think that I could get it done, but was hoping that I could get the calipers cleaned, loaded with pads, painted all at one time to avoid downtime. The rear calipers are the worst and I don't want to lose the e-brake in a conversion.
Lawrence
A couple of technical articles for you...

Rear Caliper Rebuild Article - Pelican

Auto Atlanta Brake Caliper Rebuild Article

And at some point I plan to do an article on rebuilding a 914/6 rear caliper. I took a billion pictures, I just need to put it together.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
For ease and less pain...

GPR. German parts and restoration in San Louis Obispo.

They have rebuilt calipers on the shelf and will ask for your core calipers back. It means NO down time for you.

B
Lawrence
Why take the easy way out? At least if he rebuilds them, there will be a hundred "how do I... _________?" questions for us to bicker over. Yack.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
The fronts are easy.. not much "issue" with them.

The rears can be difficult depending on how bad they are.

B
Lawrence
Yeah. The super-secret-squirrel o-rings are available. Corrosion on the piston and sleeve are the real issues.

Most of that can actually be rubbed off with some brake cleaner and paper towels. If necessary, a bit of very fine sandpaper, used sparingly will clean up the rest. If it won't, I wouldn't use the caliper again.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Rog914
If you want a good coating put on your calipers try www.goldlinebrakes.com They put a "Polymer" coating on my calipers, better than powder coating (powder coating is much thicker than polymer coating, so less heat build-up in calipers). Plus there rebuild prices are'nt to bad.

Ralph
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.