Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air box, vents, wiper & glove box removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
What is the best procedure for removing the air box, vents, wipers, and glove box, and lock.
fixer34
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 11 2021, 06:46 PM) *

What is the best procedure for removing the air box, vents, wipers, and glove box, and lock.

I believe the wipers/motor and air box come out from the front side; you need to remove the gas tank first.
Vents and glove box are from the inside.
partwerks
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 11 2021, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 11 2021, 06:46 PM) *

I believe the wipers/motor and air box come out from the front side; you need to remove the gas tank first.
Vents and glove box are from the inside.

I mean defroster ducts/vents, but besides getting the tank out of the way, anything I need to do in any certain order?

Would taking off those round clips on the defroster ducts help getting them out easier?
bkrantz
I was able to remove and install the side mixing boxes and defroster vents while still connected. The round clips can be difficult and the plastic half-studs they hold together are fragile.

My suggested removal order:
gas tank
cowl support struts
all the vent hoses
undo all the control cables (label them and get lots of photos first)
both side mixing boxes (a tight fit but can be removed with the ducts attached)
center air box (also a tight fit, especially when installing)
wiper motor and frame as a single assembly

The glove box can be removed with the dash in the car, but is another tight challenge. If you are removing the dash, leave the glove box for later.
partwerks
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 11 2021, 05:24 PM) *

I was able to remove and install the side mixing boxes and defroster vents while still connected. The round clips can be difficult and the plastic half-studs they hold together are fragile.

gas tank
cowl support struts
all the vent hoses

The glove box can be removed with the dash in the car, but is another tight challenge. If you are removing the dash, leave the glove box for later.

On the glove box, just take the two big screws out for the lid, and I would imagine there is something supporting the back of the box?
bkrantz
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 11 2021, 07:36 PM) *

gas tank
cowl support struts
all the vent hoses

On the glove box, just take the two big screws out for the lid, and I would imagine there is something supporting the back of the box?

The box is held to the inside of the dash face with a thin 1 inch wide steel strap, bolted on one end and hooked through a slot on the other. Once the strap is off, you can barely maneuver the box downward.
partwerks
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 11 2021, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Jun 11 2021, 07:36 PM) *

gas tank
cowl support struts
all the vent hoses

The box is held to the inside of the dash face with a thin 1 inch wide steel strap, bolted on one end and hooked through a slot on the other. Once the strap is off, you can barely maneuver the box downward.

After I got the radio out of the way, I was able to take out the screw, and release the strap, and took the two screws out from the hinge lid, but not sure how to get the lid off, and the box itself. Looks like something at the front edge of the box is hanging up somewhere?
partwerks

gas tank
cowl support struts
all the vent hoses

Wasn't removing the dash.
I have the strap loose, and two screws for the hinges, but seems stubborn about coming out. Not sure what is holding it on the front side?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.