Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just a little guidance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tjmrfe
Hello all,(first time rebuilder here) so...I’ve got my engine on a dolly, with new clutch, got the trans, with new throw out bearing installed...on a dolly...and for the life of me, I can’t get them to “slip” together? I suspect it’s an alignment thing...they get soooooo close, but never that satisfying “clink” when they slip together.... I’m wiggling trans gently from side to side...hoping they’ll slip together....roughly 3/8” away....my concern is damaging the spline, and putting pressure on the shaft?..any tricks? Or just keep playing with it? As always,Thank you...
914e
Did you center the clutch disc with a clutch alignment tool? Are engine and transaxle mating surfaces parallel at the 3/8" away? If you did and it is still not going to together in a minute or two, something is wrong and you should pull them back apart and look for what might be hanging it up.
Shivers
Like mentioned above, more than likely you may have an off centered friction plate. If you do not have an alignment tool you can use a broom stick to align it close enough to get them back together
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(914e @ Jun 13 2021, 02:02 PM) *

Did you center the clutch disc with a clutch alignment tool? Are engine and transaxle mating surfaces parallel at the 3/8" away? If you did and it is still not going to together in a minute or two, something is wrong and you should pull them back apart and look for what might be hanging it up.

I did use the center alignment tool....ok, I’ll remove clutch plate and see what I did ....thanks much, hopefully my next post will reveal the issue, thanks again....
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ Jun 13 2021, 03:53 PM) *

I did use the center alignment tool....ok, I’ll remove clutch plate and see what I did ....thanks much, hopefully my next post will reveal the issue, thanks again....

Also wiggle one of the output flanges a little as you try to slide together.
mlindner
I made my engine install dolly long so I could shim the transmission for an easy alignment. worked great under a scissors lift. Also, best to install studs into engine case instead of bolts. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 14 2021, 02:56 AM) *

I made my engine install dolly long so I could shim the transmission for an easy alignment. worked great under a scissors lift. Also, best to install studs into engine case instead of bolts. Best, MarkClick to view attachment

Great looking setup. Thank you for the info. I like the stud idea best of all....
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 13 2021, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Tjmrfe @ Jun 13 2021, 03:53 PM) *

Also wiggle one of the output flanges a little as you try to slide together.

Thank you
Dave_Darling
I usually have to put the trans into gear, hold one output flange and turn the other so that the input shaft turns. That can help the splines on the shaft line up with the splines on the clutch disk.

--DD
914e
Any luck finding the issue?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.