Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 51 years ago today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
A good Day in France June 13/14, 1970. #40 Sonauto 9146gt, P1 2Litre gt class first.gif
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif

The ride height on #40 always amazes me. Like it’s right out of the showroom.
Maltese Falcon
1970 LM24; #23 917 overall P1 victory for Porsche first.gif
Quick Vic Elford in the #25 917 set the fastest lap, but dnf'd with engine trouble.
Maltese Falcon
LM24 1970, 1st in 3 litre class as well, #27 908. That's a total of 3 class wins !!!
warpig
dry.gif A 914 about to get passed by everyone?
Not really seeing the significance. confused24.gif
av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Shivers
I like to think that #40 looks so high in the front because it just hit 5th, chirped the tires and left the other two behind. smile.gif
URY914
Slower traffic keep right.... sad.gif
Literati914
That #40 car took 6th over-all, did it not? I mean, that is significant!

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jun 13 2021, 08:05 PM) *

That #40 car took 6th over-all, did it not? I mean, that is significant!

Yes, the only cars that beat it were the 917s. It beat every 911 in the field.

Clay
Maltese Falcon
That year 1970, was the first year wherein the drivers were not sprinting to their cars, as in prior years.
The Green flag waving Superstar of the 1970 event was Ferry Porsche himself biggrin.gif
windforfun
Wow!!!!!!!!!!

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
VegasRacer
I hope this link works. www.facebook.com/watch/?v=738189783250996
If, not . . . . here is a picture and maybe somebody smarter than me can post a proper video link.

Click to view attachment

Shivers
Thanks dude that was a great video. I especially liked the footage of the long line of 911's behind #40. Too bad #40 didn't sit as low as the 911's, probably would have beat those pesky ferrari's
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 13 2021, 08:27 PM) *

If, not . . . . here is a picture and maybe somebody smarter than me can post a proper video link.

Click to view attachment

That little guy "Dunpy" (on quarter panel) went missing during the rainstorm; he's recently been located !
Click to view attachment

Steve
What’s amazing after watching Ford versus Ferrari, was how much work it took Ford to make a car reliable enough to survive the 24 hours of Lemans, but the 914 did it the first time out and won!
MM1
Thanks for the link, John - great stuff!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 13 2021, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 13 2021, 08:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That little guy "Dunpy" (on quarter panel) went missing during the rainstorm; he's recently been located !
Click to view attachment

he is cute, never knew about him.
whats the story?
reminds me of the super-roo.
the 70s were good.

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Thank you for sharing, very impressive piece of history. I had no idea our lowly mid engine 914 had it in her.
TX914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 13 2021, 10:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I like the look on the driver of the 911 as he gets passed by the 914
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(TX914 @ Jun 14 2021, 04:10 AM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 13 2021, 10:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I like the look on the driver of the 911 as he gets passed by the 914

The #40 was equipped with a bit of Weissach magic; a 906 based engine. As the saying goes when getting passed " Like having your doors blown off ", the 911 pilot got an eyeful !
johnhora
It's called an endurance race...who ever finishes wins...just the same reason all of us have a 50+ year old 914 in our possession....they are still here after all these years.....they are a winner....very cool video.
wonkipop
@Maltese Falcon

dunpy was a france only character?
i can't remember him as a kid in aus - i would have he is so memorable unless finally i am senile).

Click to view attachment

(he is under a bit of downforce on #40 smile.gif )
Maltese Falcon
@wonkipop not sure on the specifics of France (only) on Dunpy, Dunlops are made worldwide and HQ is UK...no ¿ The SuperRoo character is cool, was this on a specific Holden, Vauxhall, Ford ? Here in USA during the Muscle Car days this guy was on the beloved Plymouth Roadrunner!
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 14 2021, 06:55 AM) *

Thank you for sharing, very impressive piece of history. I had no idea our lowly mid engine 914 had it in her.

Wrong site to utter 'lowly mid-engine 914' sad.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 13 2021, 11:27 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Fantastic ! Thank you for sharing.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 14 2021, 06:19 PM) *

@wonkipop not sure on the specifics of France (only) on Dunpy, Dunlops are made worldwide and HQ is UK...no ¿ The SuperRoo character is cool, was this on a specific Holden, Vauxhall, Ford ? Here in USA during the Muscle Car days this guy was on the beloved Plymouth Roadrunner!
Click to view attachment

FORD mate. i think it was only supposed to be on the GTHO Falcons. Phase 3.
but i could be wrong - because basically superoos proliferated on to any falcon in the early 70s when i was a kid. essential go faster accessory --- nothing original about the super roo except the kangeroo, total copy of USA muscle car fashion transposed into aus.

Ford claimed the GTHO was the fastest 4 door sedan in the world. bs. at time mercedes 600 was. but ford aus was never going to let the truth get in the way of a good boast.
but it was probably the second fastest four door in the world, with absolutely the worlds worst brakes. all these cars had the common nickname of "gum tree magnet".

to the best of my memory Holden (GM) never did cartoon characters on their monaros and toranas. just lurid colours and black out graphics. same with chrysler - aus. but the aussie charger was an intersting car. unique to aus, nothing like the usa charger.

yes, dunlops were world wide. but i never recall seeing dunpy on anything when i was a 10 year old in 1970. i was hardly a world traveller or internationally sophisticated.

its fantastic dunpy is going back on #40. what a touch. makes me think that car is even better, as if it was not already the betterest.
930cabman
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 14 2021, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 14 2021, 06:55 AM) *

Wrong site to utter 'lowly mid-engine 914' sad.gif

Partially in jest. from what I can tell it had a 906 engine. Very Impressive to say the least
Maltese Falcon
@wonkipop "Gum tree Magnet" biggrin.gif just shove that Ford into a lower gear!
Click to view attachment
"Gear Jammers Ball" !
Maltese Falcon
At 4pm, the next day.
Who's that man in the tweed jacket, standing on the white finish line smile.gif ¿¿

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 15 2021, 09:36 AM) *

At 4pm, the next day.
Who's that man in the tweed jacket, standing on the white finish line smile.gif ¿¿

Click to view attachment

herr ferry?

that clocks great.
4.00 o'clock.
930cabman
To think a 914 was on the same stage as a 917 and a 512 is nothing short of incredible.

And how many 914's have been recycled into pop cans or otherwise?

"Street legal go cart" is a good description, taken from another post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.