Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennshift reverse lock out stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Car was off the road for 5 months as I was flaring it and doing some other work.

I'd been having issues getting into first before that so decided to redial in the shift pattern, but now, for some reason, even though I have all 5 gears and reverse, when I'm shifting from first to second, unless I go really slowly, it tries to get into reverse (i.e. blood curdling grinding noises).

I used to AX the car and had full confidence slamming it from first straight into second, but now I'm not sure what's happened.

The spring loaded lock out pin on the Rennshift springs into position so I can't push the shifter to the left and forward, but that doesn't seem to matter - shifting straight forward and a little bit to the left seems to be putting me into reverse.

My first thought was I'd moved the pattern way too far to the right, but if I try to dial it back to the left a little I lose first and reverse.

I have the tangerine precision shift adjuster, firewall bushing, shift linkage, all new bushings etc, and there's no slop in any of it, so I'm a little stumped as to what's changed.

Here's a picture of my shifter in first with the lock out pin doing its thing.

IPB Image

Also, and I can't remember if this is normal, to go into fifth I just push the shifter as far as it will go right and then pull back. But fourth isn't the same.

If I push the shifter all the way to the right and push it forward, it won't go forward. Instead, I have to move the shifter slowly to the left while maintaining forward pressure until it "finds" the slot for fourth and only then moves forward. Is that how it's supposed to be?
mepstein
I would call JWest. They are very helpful and knowledgeable about their products.
john77
Thanks, I've just sent them an email. Unfortunately, they don't list a phone number on their website.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 14 2021, 11:07 AM) *

I would call JWest. They are very helpful and knowledgeable about their products.

ChrisFoley
Have you fiddled with the short shift ratio on the Rennshift?
Steve
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 15 2021, 10:26 AM) *

Good point, if you change the default setting to the shorter throw it bypasses the lockout or causes it to not work correctly. You also need to make sure the stick is in the middle for the 2nd and 3rd plane. It should be spring loaded to the first and reverse plane and the 4th and 5th plane.
john77
Hey @ChrisFoley .

It's been about 5 years since I fitted it, and I haven't touched anything on the shifter since then. I'm 99% sure I never adjusted anything on it though - I just bolted it in straight out the box in it's default setting.

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 15 2021, 10:26 AM) *

ChrisFoley
Have you looked inside the plastic cover at the trans? Everything tight there?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 15 2021, 04:03 PM) *

agree.gif I've had the set screws back out on me at both the trans and the firewall joints, make sure they are tight.
john77
@Mark_Henry, wow, you totally nailed it.

The set screw at the firewall between the stock shift rod and the tangerine linkage had backed out and the hole in the rod was no longer in line with where the set screw seats into it.

I pulled the whole linkage out and then fitted it back in with the rod disconnected from the shifter, and then reattached the precision shift adjuster and the damn thing is shifting better than it ever has haha. It’s so tight, I honestly don’t remember it ever shifting so good. I didn’t even have to adjust the pattern, it was just there.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 15 2021, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 15 2021, 04:03 PM) *

agree.gif I've had the set screws back out on me at both the trans and the firewall joints, make sure they are tight.
Mark Henry
Cool glad you got it. shades.gif
Mark Henry
BTW a new set screw has a little plastic nub in an indent that is suppose to lock it in, once you remove the screw the nub is gone. Really it's one use only.
I had limited success with a dab of hot glue in the indent.

Now I clean the screw and the thread 100% and use a drop of red Loctite, but to remove you have to hit it with heat for a few seconds.
ChrisFoley
thumb3d.gif
jim_hoyland
BTW: There are several great Rennshifter videos available on YouTube.
One address’ the reverse lockout issue.
I’m still trying to get the “slop” out of mine.
john77
Ha, that's funny, I literally red loctited it back in... and then wondered if I should have asked you first whether red loctite was a good idea.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 16 2021, 06:17 AM) *

BTW a new set screw has a little plastic nub in an indent that is suppose to lock it in, once you remove the screw the nub is gone. Really it's one use only.
I had limited success with a dab of hot glue in the indent.

Now I clean the screw and the thread 100% and use a drop of red Loctite, but to remove you have to hit it with heat for a few seconds.

john77
Thanks Jim. Even though this is now sorted (fingers crossed) I'll take a look at those. The slop caused by the backed out set screw definitely appears to be the cause of my problem based on a short test drive though - I'm going to drive up Angeles Crest Friday morning and put it through its paces just to be sure though haha

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM) *

BTW: There are several great Rennshifter videos available on YouTubr. One address’ the reverse lockout issue.
I’m still trying to get mine …

Steve
QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 16 2021, 09:29 AM) *

Thanks Jim. Even though this is now sorted (fingers crossed) I'll take a look at those. The slop caused by the backed out set screw definitely appears to be the cause of my problem based on a short test drive though - I'm going to drive up Angeles Crest Friday morning and put it through its paces just to be sure though haha

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 16 2021, 09:21 AM) *

BTW: There are several great Rennshifter videos available on YouTubr. One address’ the reverse lockout issue.
I’m still trying to get mine …

For the last 40 years I have used Blue Locktite and never had a problem using the same set screw over again. I typically replace it after the allen screw starts to get stripped.
john77
@ChrisFoley

Thanks for chiming in on this. I cannot say enough good things about your shift linkage kit and precision adjuster. Now I've tightened the backed out set screw the shift is so tight and precise.

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 16 2021, 09:07 AM) *

thumb3d.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.