Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longitudinal Heater tube cleaning?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey guys... While they are out...

Starting the metal work on my 912, I cracked the rockers open and pulled the heater tubes out. '69+ is the same style tube as all years of the 914.

Physically mine are in OK shape, no holes - just dirty.

I will probably try and clean these and wrap in HVAC aluminum tape.
Is there a way to clean the inside? I would like to not breath anything inside in. I would especially like to not purchase a new pair for $450

Just compressed air?

Inside:

IPB Image

The part:

IPB Image

Thanks!
914sgofast2
Interesting question. Does anyone know if these tubes were made with asbestos containing materials?
bdstone914
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jun 14 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Starting the metal work on my 912, I cracked the rockers open and pulled the heater tubes out. '69+ is the same style tube as all years of the 914.

Is there a way to clean the inside? I would like to not breath anything inside in. I would especially like to not purchase a new pair for $450

Just compressed air?

Inside:

IPB Image

The part:

IPB Image

Thanks!

Maybe a soft bristle bottle it brush whit a long stem? I cut off the loop and spin slowly in a cordless drill. I think the insidw is lined with aluminum foil
windforfun
That's probably not an OEM tube. The 914 stock tubes are filled with a sound absorbing material. Correction... I can't comment about the 912 tubes.
bdstone914
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jun 14 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Just compressed air?

Inside:

IPB Image

The part:

IPB Image

Thanks!

Maybe a soft bristle bottle it brush whit a long stem? I cut off the loop and spin slowly in a cordless drill. I think the insidw is lined with aluminum foil
burton73
Just get a power home dryer clean out kit. You add the lengths like a giant GUN cleaning kit.

Drill for the spin to clean it out. I have never done this but it should work.

Bob B
930cabman
We recently installed new heat tubes in our 914 rustout project. NAPA straight pipe for $60.00. In my opinion adding insulation adds problems.
bdstone914
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 14 2021, 02:43 PM) *

We recently installed new heat tubes in our 914 rustout project. NAPA straight pipe for $60.00. In my opinion adding insulation adds problems.

The insulation dampens engine noise.
Have you used yours yet?
windforfun
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 14 2021, 03:33 PM) *

Have you used yours yet?

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 14 2021, 04:33 PM) *

Have you used yours yet?

No, it's going to be a hot rod so I am not too concerned. These will probably never be connected to the heat exchangers anyway
914werke
I think the gun brush (more like cannon brush) solution sounds most promising, if it goes wrong I have several in stock that aren't Stoddard $'s
peteyd
We also carry these $122 each

https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP213B

Pete
jaredmcginness
Great info all around everyone. Thanks Pete and Rich as well. I will inspect mine closer and make the call.
burton73
This would work better than most ideas. I think the insulation is there so the longs do not heat up. It helps with thermal lag and it is just $11.
Bob B
Click to view attachment
windforfun
The longs will still get hot. It'll just take longer i.e. thermal lag or a larger time constant.
jaredmcginness
I ordered the kit that @burton73 attached, if this works, I will share the info, if not I will purchase from a contact above.

Jared
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.