Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody have build details / costs on the billet block Pastrana 862 HP Subaru WRX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
Just finished watching the Airslayer Pastrana video of his 862 HP WRX STI in action. Whoa!!

Q: Please forgive me if this has been asked before. Does anybody have a link to the engine builders for this billet blocked beast and approximate costs? Since it costs a small fortune to rebuild 914 4's and 911 6's engines these days anyway, hell, why not?!
roblav1
What transaxle do you have in mind? Axles? CV's?
tygaboy
I have 518 hp in my 914. the last 150 - 200 hp are essentially unusable on the street.
IF, IF, IF you were going to do something like this, I'd say:
tube chassis, non-914 suspension, particularly at the rear, something WAY wider than the GT flares/245s I'm running, and potentially AWD.

There are transaxles that could deal with it but you're talking SERIOUS $$$$$, like in the $30k+ range, if you really want it to last. Check Albins and Weddle.

All that said, if you're doing it for bragging rights vs being able to use all/most of it, then sure. As I always say, there's no kill like OVERKILL! aktion035.gif
AZBanks
There was/is a company in Scottsdale Arizona called Dynocomp. They had a program going where you could buy a 700 HP STI through a Subaru dealership.

The owner(Richard) is a big 944 fan.

He was pushing over 800 HP in his race STI so I'm sure he can build you whatever you want to pay for.

dynocomp.com
mepstein
It's not hard to find shops selling 400-650hp suby street engines. Not crazy money compared to the same hp from a Porsche engine. Like Tygaboy said, anything over about 400 is a waste in a 914 and costs start getting crazy because of all the things you need to do to support the HP.

Easier still (and cheaper), buy a 996 tt.
worn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 14 2021, 07:29 PM) *

It's not hard to find shops selling 400-650hp suby street engines. Not crazy money compared to the same hp from a Porsche engine. Like Tygaboy said, anything over about 400 is a waste in a 914 and costs start getting crazy because of all the things you need to do to support the HP.

Easier still (and cheaper), buy a 996 tt.

OK, I am gonna say it. For normal road use, what can you actually get out of a 700 plus hp car within one to two tons of weight to push. I am imagining spending the time and money only to get on the freeway a second sooner. Track, well that is another story, but I am watching cars now heading for 300 mph top speed, which I have no wish to see in the rear view mirror on my way to get groceries. It seems like purpose has been outrun by technology, but then I am old and in the way, and maybe I should be upset over those new fangled cars that go a mile a minute.
mgp4591
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 14 2021, 06:42 PM) *

I have 518 hp in my 914. the last 150 - 200 hp are essentially unusable on the street.
IF, IF, IF you were going to do something like this, I'd say:
tube chassis, non-914 suspension, particularly at the rear, something WAY wider than the GT flares/245s I'm running, and potentially AWD.

There are transaxles that could deal with it but you're talking SERIOUS $$$$$, like in the $30k+ range, if you really want it to last. Check Albins and Weddle.

All that said, if you're doing it for bragging rights vs being able to use all/most of it, then sure. As I always say, there's no kill like OVERKILL! aktion035.gif

Bragging rights are cool but after riding in a 914 with almost 600whp with sticky tires that actually hooked up, the cool factor went up 1000% in my mind! It's still a handful to play with and the last couple of hundred hp are unusable like you say Chris...but it doesn't mean that it won't be fun! shades.gif
Andyrew
Subaru's have notorious issues that require a bit more $$ to make north of 600 (Billet block..)..

Lots of other options out there that will get you there cheaper/more reliably... Honda, Audi, Cheby, ect.

And I agree with CHris, you'll need some serious rubber to put it down.

Dad is about 2 weeks away from really getting some seat time in his LS turbo 914 which should be about 500-700whp depending on where he wants to land the power numbers (He could turn it up to 1000WHP, but we all know it just wont handle the power). This is a chassis with 315, race rubber, fully cage, and about 100k worth of work done to it... Not to mention a $15k trani/clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq42jvpTJo8...VoMhuzSM-Fd7Avo

Get a ride in a 500hp 914, Plenty of those out there and is one hell of a ride.

My Audi turbo 914 is about 300whp right now and I have a real problem with traction and things will only get worse as I turn it up.

Also, whatever you think your budget is, double it... There is a lot involved in these kind of things and the little stuff adds up fast.
Mark Henry
Turbo Paul had a 1000+hp twin turbo beast he was building, it broke a shops engine dyno.

He then fitted it into a 914 that had a cage but the wasn't good enough. He drove it once around the block, turned back on his street, blipped the throttle and twisted the car so bad the doors no longer opened.
That was mid 2000's...he never finished the 914.

Point is you can have too much of a good thing.
ClayPerrine
My 4.0L car is 435 HP. It is a handful on the street. The clutch assembly necessary to handle that kind of horsepower is heavy and grabby, and it takes some getting used to to drive it smoothly. And getting it to hook up with street tires is almost a joke. 245/45-16 RE-Rs are too small. I can break them loose easily. And I have a Brad Mauyer kit in the car, and the GT stiffeners. But tt has still managed to break the left targa top latch twice now. I am debating on a steel roof for it just for that reason.

But the other side of the coin is... it is addicting. Betty drove my car for the first time with this motor on Sunday. I almost ended up with a broken neck from her learning how to start off from a stop sign. But every time she put her foot into it, she was laughing like a total maniac.

Yet I still want more horsepower. Vonnen hybrid kit, and/or a supercharger.

The only difference between a high horsepower car and crack cocaine is that with the the high horsepower car you get to keep your teeth. happy11.gif

And Mark, when it comes to horsepower, there is no such thing as too much.

clay

914rrr
To be honest, I was asking hypothetically. I do realize that 914's need serious reinforcing and/or modifications to handle high HP levels.

Awhile back I thought seriously about buying that twin turbo'd SBC 914 magazine feature car. IIRC, it had a drivers side frame seam let go even with a cage and chassis reinforcements. BTW, who ended up buying that?

mepstein, I completely agree with you. I owned a 2001 996 TT Tip a few years ago. It's really hard to find anything to beat the $ to performance ratio those cars have, and be able to DD them for 500k miles. I took mine to the St. Pete 1/8 mile dragstrip one night, did about 30 passes, beat (almost) everything I lined up against, including all the members of a local Mustang club. Only miss was a C7 Vette, but I was snoozing at the light. Actually worked in my favor since I beat him the next 5 passes when he got cocky and took the nannies off. biggrin.gif

Back in quasi-reality land, what kind of reliable HP could one achieve with a stock-ish budget friendly-ish turbo'd Megasquirt 914-4 as a weekend toy running E-85?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.