Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Wheel Archeology
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi: I really like the alloy wheels that came with my "new" 1.7 but am curious whether or not they are common or rare. I've found a lot of threads about this style on VW sites and it's often referenced that they were popular take off dealer items on 914's. But the stories all state they were made by Western with some claiming they are Dan Gurney designs.

To complicate things as you can see, mine (I have 5) are Enkei. I suppose they could have been copied by Enkei, or is it possible Western copied Enkei? I do know for sure that Enkei made this style for race cars back in the day because when I co-owned the Russell racing school we were sponsored by Enkei and they were sourced in Japan for the Formula Mazda cars.

Anyway, does anyone know or recall how popular this style was back in the day? Are they considered desirable today?

Thanks,

Ron

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
I don't have an answer to any of your questions but they do look good on your car.
Bullethead
Jack McAfee designed them and they were hugely popular, resulting in a couple of imitation versions offered like the ones you have from Enkei. Which look great BTW.

Genuine McAfee wheels are fairly scarce and priced accordingly.

Click to view attachment
Racer
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Jun 15 2021, 09:26 AM) *

I suppose they could have been copied by Enkei, or is it possible Western copied Enkei? I do know for sure that Enkei made this style for race cars back in the day because when I co-owned the Russell racing school we were sponsored by Enkei and they were sourced in Japan for the Formula Mazda cars.

Anyway, does anyone know or recall how popular this style was back in the day? Are they considered desirable today?

Click to view attachment

I hope those race cars with the Mitsubishi logo on the front and Ralliart on the side aren't Mazdas.. cause that would be confusing.

Formula Mazda came out in the 1980s iirc, the Western/Gurney wheels predated that.

While not a fan of the wheel, they look good on your car.. Silver/blue combo works well
jrmdir
Thanks everyone. Bullethead, armed with your McFee tip I got some better search results and found the answer to my questions - right here on this forum, of course. Posts 9 and 10 in this thread build a pretty good case re: how my '73 got the wheels. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=159529

Racer - well spotted as they say and not to go too far OT, but those cars were indeed Mazda powered. Long before my involvement, the Jim Russell school was sponsored by Mazda and the two companies collaborated on the single seat design. It was intended for a one-make racing series and debuted at the Phoenix F1 race in, I believe 1989?

It's a very long and involved story but they were at that time privately owned but the SCCA cancelled the series and most of the cars ended up at the school and officially became Formula Russells and were used in our advanced classes, amateur school series and sporadically in the USAC Formula Russell Pro Series.

Along the way we negotiated a new sponsor agreement with Mitsu and they powered our entry level Formula cars and were ok with just adding decals to the rotary cars.

One of the former pro racers in SoCal built a copy of the rotary cars and revived the name Formula Mazda and it's been an on and off success over the years.

I could go on but sorry to take as much time from 914's as I already have smile.gif

Ron
Big Len
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jun 15 2021, 10:50 AM) *

I don't have an answer to any of your questions but they do look good on your car.

agree.gif
Craigers17
....a bit more to gnaw on....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...ighlight=gurney
jrmdir
Great info. Thanks!

I was curious why someone would buy a matching spare when buying aftermarket wheels but the dealer angle makes sense. Why stick a buyer with 4 when you can sell 5!

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.