Nice addition, great for summer
ClayPerrine
Does it have a 4cam motor???

Clay
BENBRO02
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2021, 05:45 PM) *

Does it have a 4cam motor???

Clay

Wouldn’t that add $500,000 to the value?
windforfun
Hmmm... I don't think that's a 914.

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
73-914
It's the 914's Father. Miid-engine , air-cooled boxer 4
windforfun
QUOTE(73-914 @ Jun 16 2021, 03:19 PM) *

It's the 914's Father. Miid-engine , air-cooled boxer 4

HP?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 16 2021, 06:15 PM) *

Hmmm... I don't think that's a 914.

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif

It does appear to be on jackstands
Literati914
I've ALWAYS wanted one, and a replica works for me.. I would not however, make it a replica of Dean's car JMHO. Anyway, way to go!

Ansbacher
Why is it obligatory that everyone must be in awe of the 550 Spyder? I find it very unappealing and its association with James Dean's death makes it even more so.

Ansbacher
mepstein
I think the real ones are pretty cool but most of the replicas are a mess. They ride poorly and are put together like any other kit car. Look good from 20’ but not great up close.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 16 2021, 07:03 PM) *

I think the real ones are pretty cool but most of the replicas are a mess. They ride poorly and are put together like any other kit car. Look good from 20’ but not great up close.

Deal with one on the weekly,, mismash everything....Gets all the Attention though...
LiL Bastard
Bullethead
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 16 2021, 09:03 PM) *

agree.gif

And further, I abhor the "lil Bastard" graphics. Hope you lose them. Decent 550 replicas are available from Beck, but they're still replicas and like the majority of TupperSpeedsters only attract a certain purchaser because of the look.

Might as well hang some freakin' fuzzy dice... poke.gif

The most convincing Porsche replica I've ever seen and regret not buying was a 550, but a very different version. No Furmann 4-cam but nearly every other detail was accurate, including the chassis construction. Shoulda pulled the trigger:

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jun 16 2021, 04:28 PM) *

I've ALWAYS wanted one, and a replica works for me.. I would not however, make it a replica of Dean's car JMHO. Anyway, way to go!

Me too, a 2.7 would move her along just nicely
mate914
I would be happy with it.
Matt
rgalla9146

A real ladder chassis, an aluminum body, a 356SC engine or a new 4cyl 911 based
engine and 356 gauges and details......now we're talkin.
Skip the 'Little Bastard' and #130 BS
BENBRO02
I’d take one with or without the “James Dean”graphics. I love the look but have never driven one.
73-914
550 kg of FUN
Shivers
It looks like fun, even with a Forty Horse. I like that idea of that boxer 4. But George, I wouldn't name my hot air balloon The Hindenburg.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This one is special, tubular frame exactly like the original 550 transmission, 550 front oil cooler 356 carrera brakes, factory steering wheel and gauges and switches, 356 sc engine, but fiberglass body, however about as close as it gets. this drives like the real thing not a kit car, and the dimensions are exact unlike Chuck's slight stretch that we used to sell years ago

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 17 2021, 05:51 AM) *

flipb
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 17 2021, 11:50 AM) *

This one is special, tubular frame exactly like the original 550 transmission, 550 front oil cooler 356 carrera brakes, factory steering wheel and gauges and switches, 356 sc engine, but fiberglass body, however about as close as it gets. this drives like the real thing not a kit car, and the dimensions are exact unlike Chuck's slight stretch that we used to sell years ago

Is this the George Barris car? Looks like it based on the license plate...
https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-m...h/a/688-31272.s
Shivers
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 17 2021, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 17 2021, 11:50 AM) *

Is this the George Barris car? Looks like it based on the license plate...
https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-m...h/a/688-31272.s

The one you put up is lettered in orange, the other is in black.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Cool car and it'll turn heads, be fun to drive. Nice find!
Literati914
Though I'm not a fan of the lil bastard 130 scheme - I always thought his car's stripes were red - those look orange on my monitor. What's the truth there?

BTW - I actually love the racing stripes on a 550, and have been kicking around a similar idea for one of my 914 projects.

Maltese Falcon
If the guy that just bought Dean's transaxle for six figures is looking for the engine, it's been adapted into this Lotus (#159 on grid) driver William Eschrich; seen here at a Bakersfield California Sports Car Club event in 1956.
Car #50 is 550-06/ Ken Miles, and Car #211 is 550-09 Richie Ginther. Today the Lotus is still in the same Family ownership, complete with the same 4cam.
Nice Sunday Car George !

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Ernst Fuhrmann 4 cam engine (James' 550 Spyder) as it sits in the engine bay of the Lotus #159 Dr. William Eschrich smile.gif

Click to view attachment
windforfun
I love history. Fact is truly more interesting than fiction.
wonkipop
repro or not, would be a lot of fun. smile.gif
very low. watch out for georgia soccer mums in suvs.

always fancied one of these.
servicing costs put me off. beer.gif
p museum bought one out for targa tasmania about 10 years back.
love the shark gills.
they seemed to stop coming to the targa, but for a while there they were here every year with something out of their vault. never a 914 but.

early 60s would have been a good time to be a beer drinking german race mechanic?

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
You can always just build one using scavenged 550 pieces, part of a C coupe, and lots of time shaping aluminum.
VegasRacer
2Z77767
Rand
I love the 550. And not because of James Dean. I will never get into something because of a celebrity. I love the car for what it is.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 17 2021, 06:21 PM) *

Ernst Fuhrmann 4 cam engine (James' 550 Spyder) as it sits in the engine bay of the Lotus #159 Dr. William Eschrich smile.gif

Click to view attachment

a bit like running a BF 109 with a merlin engine?
except its actually a spitfire with a supercharged inverted daimler.
that would rock.

never knew the dean machine engine ended up somewhere.
lotus is low given the 4 cam sticks right out of it!
nice.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.