Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No more ugly cages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
spare time toys
I have been putting this off long enough. It was good and hot today so I decided we would sweat off a couple of pounds and start on putting the windshield frame on The German 8 Tor. Here is a couple of last looks for you barf.gif
spare time toys
spare time toys
spare time toys
We broke out the Sawzall and I turned Cam Loose on it
spare time toys
more cam
spare time toys
A job well done
spare time toys
This is what we took out sawzall-smiley.gif smile.gif
spare time toys
Here is what is going on. Left over Banana parts
spare time toys
This is where the story ends for today its too hot to keep going. beerchug.gif
Series9
I'm glad you did that. It was a very ugly cage.
jr91472
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
Put that cage on the riding lanmower! heh.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jul 23 2005, 03:28 PM)
This is where the story ends for today its too hot to keep going. beerchug.gif

agree.gif

That's why I am inside on the computer instead of installing axles on my 914. (Afternoon Siesta). I got up early this morning and finished out the brake system (first time in 5 years my car has working brakes).

Gonna go back out to the garage this evening. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will be firing the car off tomorrow evening!!!!!
spare time toys
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jul 23 2005, 04:45 PM)
Put that cage on the riding lanmower! heh.

I dont think the mower would take it. This thing is old thick wall HEAVY tube. It took both of us to haul it around back and we had to set it down once. blink.gif
neo914-6
Aw I was just getting used to it, laugh.gif

Nice W/O windshield smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
We mocked a spare top and frame today sawzall-smiley.gif
spare time toys
I think we can make this work
spare time toys
My 13 year old aprentice beer.gif
TravisNeff
recapitated!
Lou W
Are you going to weld in a new cowl? or are you/ can you weld in just the windshield frame? welder.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jul 31 2005, 10:58 AM)
Are you going to weld in a new cowl? or are you/ can you weld in just the windshield frame? welder.gif

This is just to get a mental picture of what it may look like. I have the cowl from another car. I plan to cut between the hinges and split the seam that runs along the dash support and about where the heater cabels go out into the cowl area. That way I have a forward weld and an aft weld and the hinges should give me a fixed referance point. I plan to fill in the grill on the cowl and switch to a single wiper arm.
Lou W
Sounds good, take lots of pictures. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
leave the windshield off...

just fab a new cage.....

i like the speedster look!
spare time toys
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 31 2005, 12:03 PM)
leave the windshield off...

just fab a new cage.....

i like the speedster look!

I must have a windshield to drive it on the street unsure.gif I have a friend who does inspections and will be using his place to inspect it. Seems like if I run antique plates its a bunch easier. Limits on driving but who is to say Im not going to a function after work cool_shades.gif It will get a new cage though.
redshift
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jul 31 2005, 11:47 AM)
recapitated!

laugh.gif

Larry, just make sure you don't end up with one of those Abby Normal brains..

Woohoo!~

M
thesey914
Will the sawzall be re-employed on that wing too?
ClayPerrine
Larry.. it looks great with the new windshield hoop and cowling. When do you start welding?

As for the wing, Larry bought it like that at a local swap meet. It's kinda my fault. I jokingly told him that it would look good with the 928 engine. He took me seriously and bought it!!! blink.gif

spare time toys
QUOTE (thesey914 @ Jul 31 2005, 04:33 PM)
Will the sawzall be re-employed on that wing too?

Heck no its GRO--WING on me. I like it and am glad Clay had the vision to see this. I still have the other tail and a stock lid with the small ducktail I can use depending on my mood biggrin.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2005, 05:10 PM)
Larry.. it looks great with the new windshield hoop and cowling. When do you start welding?

As for the wing, Larry bought it like that at a local swap meet. It's kinda my fault. I jokingly told him that it would look good with the 928 engine. He took me seriously and bought it!!! blink.gif

I will measure and mark my cuts this week and then remeasure again before I start to cut out what I dont need. After I am sure of my plan sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beer3.gif mueba.gif

Im still glad you talked me into the wing smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Thank God(ess)! smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
Upon further review this aint going to be so hard. There is a factory seam at the corners of the windshield frame. They cut the original frame off at that point. I can cut the new frame from the Banana off at the same point and not have to cut into my door jam as originally planed. I will wheld a couple of tabs onto it and tie it into the cage when it goes in. I can still get the patch panels out of the old cowl to fill in the bad spots where they ran that dumb duct through the car.
DougC
Larry, much...much better know. I however would not have recommended cutting out the entire cage. I would have cut out most of it and rearranged the rest to fit inside the new cab. Would be much safer in case of an accident, maybe stiffer in turns and you could still reuse what you've already cut out. I cut out a little more of mine than I should have probably..But other than that I think it's great even the tail. BTW, what size are those rear wheels - they look nice!

Doug C
spare time toys
QUOTE (DougC @ Aug 1 2005, 04:30 PM)
BTW, what size are those rear wheels - they look nice!

Doug C

They are old rotted BFG T/As P265/50/HR15 lol2.gif
spare time toys
We got the mock up frame the way we want it so now its measure and cut good frame time. We needed to turn the car around so we took a couple of shots of it. smile.gif
spare time toys
front 3/4 view
spare time toys
rear 3/4
spare time toys
Cheap help but GOOD KIDS smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
Had a busy day I cut and fit the good frame. This one was off the Banana and has no rust in it.
spare time toys
I broke out the sawzall and sanders. I got a good fit on the right side sawzall-smiley.gif
spare time toys
inside
spare time toys
The left didnt come out as well but worked out with a littlt filling in welding welder.gif
spare time toys
inside
spare time toys
Rh after welding. just need to grind down the welds rework any bad spots sand and paint
spare time toys
Left side its going to need grinding and rework as well
spare time toys
I then set the glass into place to check fit. Just like it should be smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
I finished the day off by installing my 300 Lbs springs some of the shock tie down points I made up and taking it off the work dolly.
SpecialK
Much, much, much better!! beerchug.gif
spare time toys
I went out this AM and just set the MOMO seat in her and tried it out. My boy Matt came out to the shop with me and almost peed himself when I started to meka engine noises and pretend I was going someplace. driving.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
r_towle
First question, how much did it weigh (this is for URY)

Second, I think the plywood might interfere with your line of site...but you could drill some hole in it, lighten it up and gain more vision that way....

I had thought of a bolt on windshield that could be take off once you arrive at the track....mmmm

Rich
spare time toys
QUOTE (r_towle @ Aug 13 2005, 02:03 PM)
First question, how much did it weigh (this is for URY)

Second, I think the plywood might interfere with your line of site...but you could drill some hole in it, lighten it up and gain more vision that way....

The windshield comes in at 25 Pounds ant the frame is all of 10.5 Pounds. The plywood is long gone biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.