Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 S Badge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Ok, I paid a stupid price to get this one BUT I am in hopes Mark at 914 Rubber can use it to make lots more. I am thinking there should be a market for some of these outlaw badges popcorn[1].gif
914sgofast2
Yesssss
Front yard mechanic
Does the S stand for slow?
mepstein
Didn’t the factory refer to the 2 914-8’s as 914-S.
bandjoey
Will the mounting pins match up to the location of other badges?
914Sixer
Holes should line up but I will not know until I get it here.
Dave_Darling
We've seen "914-6" badges with the "6" cut into an "S" before.

One person who had such a badge insisted it was original to the car....

--DD
cary
I'd be in for a half a dozen just for fun.
Mikey914
Yep, we can do these. As soon as we have the sample will be working on making some up.

Black is no problem, the "correct" color for a true "S" (73) would be sliver so thinking about doing both.
Mark
914Sixer
Alright, looks like we will have a go. A subtle change that makes people do a double take.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jun 18 2021, 06:15 PM) *

Does the S stand for slow?

Sure as hell it doesn't stand for stealth laugh.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 18 2021, 03:26 PM) *

Didn’t the factory refer to the 2 914-8’s as 914-S.

^ Yep.

They made owner's manuals for both eight-cylinder cars, and 914S or 914 S was indeed the designation. 914R/914 R is arguably more correct than 914-6 GT, as well.

And then there's 914/6 (much of the product literature) and 914-6 (there's a little dash between the 4 and 6 on the gold badge on U.S. cars).

And then there's Clubsport and Club Sport. rolleyes.gif
JamesJ
Wish there was a photo of the back of this car to see if it might have had an “S” badge
808 WRX
914 S = Subaru powered idea.gif
wonkipop
yeah well .......you are short of a letter,

just go total b.s.
be arsetrailyun.

check the front spoiler.....

its still here somewhere for sure, rotting in a shed (arestrailyun for baaaarn)?
last saw it around 87. beer.gif

Click to view attachment
Ace Le Count
QUOTE(JamesJ @ Jun 20 2021, 12:53 AM) *

Wish there was a photo of the back of this car to see if it might have had an “S” badge

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 20 2021, 04:32 AM) *

just go total b.s.
be arsetrailyun.

its still here somewhere for sure, rotting in a shed (arestrailyun for baaaarn)?

Click to view attachment

What books are these from?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 18 2021, 01:13 PM) *

Ok, I paid a stupid price to get this one BUT I am in hopes Mark at 914 Rubber can use it to make lots more. I am thinking there should be a market for some of these outlaw badges popcorn[1].gif

are you getting more than one? i would like one.

Phil
@914Sixer
Shivers
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 20 2021, 02:32 AM) *

just go total b.s.
be arsetrailyun.

Click to view attachment

Farout dude, never seen this before. Thanks. I did a cover for a magazine in your neck of the woods. Real nice people. https://andromedaspaceways.com/
wonkipop
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 20 2021, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 20 2021, 02:32 AM) *

just go total b.s.
be arsetrailyun.

Click to view attachment

Farout dude, never seen this before. Thanks. I did a cover for a magazine in your neck of the woods. Real nice people. https://andromedaspaceways.com/

nice mag cover.

that old article was published in an australian car mag back in the 70s.
i used to have it as a teenager. it fell apart from being read so much.
fortunately reprinted in all its bs glory in brooklands collection.

last time i saw the actual car was in melbourne back in 87 at a vw club event before i left for the USA. it still looked like it did in the mag article then. the original owner imported it into australia back in 73 or 74. dennis (mr gulf908) knows all about its early days in NSW.

it was a crayfords converted car done in the UK and then brought here new. i think the owner tricked it a bit early on with the spoiler graphics, alloys etc. though i do believe the poms marketed the 2L as an SC. with or without factory permission. like i say, total b.s. marketing amped up by a big noting owner, sort of thing that went down then. you know - "its not a volkwagen maaaaayte, its a poorsheeeee".

we are having a bit of go at seeing if we can track it down, as a friend of mine knows the second hand dealer who sold it back in the mid 80s to the bloke it was last known to be with. he still has all his records from his days in the trade, but he is getting on in years and a bit frail. covid has kind of slowed down contact with people, especially older folks who have basically gone into hiding.

i am sure this car is still around somewhere. the old guy who owned it was the type who would die with it. when i say old, he would have been about 50 then, and i was in my 20s. so he seemed like an old dude to me. he'd be in his 80s now if he is still around. he was pretty fanatical about the car and i know he got in contact with the guy who started the orig aus 914 register sometime in the late 90s, so he still had the car then. and i have never noticed it for sale anywhere, but i could have missed it.

the b.s. marketing did not extend to the badge.
914 vw porsche 2.0
76-914
QUOTE(808 WRX @ Jun 19 2021, 10:59 PM) *

914 S = Subaru powered idea.gif

agree.gif
sixnotfour
Past Discussions
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...334403&st=0
914Sixer
Badge came in today. Very thin plastic and the holes do not line up. Studs are OFF about 1-2 mm. Talked to Rich and told him we were good because were are sending to Mark at 914Rubber. The layout will be easy to duplicate and he will correct the post problem.
Mikey914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 21 2021, 02:46 PM) *

Badge came in today. Very thin plastic and the holes do not line up. Studs are OFF about 1-2 mm. Talked to Rich and told him we were good because were are sending to Mark at 914Rubber. The layout will be easy to duplicate and he will correct the post problem.

Got it.
So design question.
The part received was actually a little smaller than the real numbers / letter combo.

Should I keep at reduced size or make at full scale?
sixnotfour
I kinda like the closer version ,,Rolls of the Tongue Better.. beer3.gif
Mikey914
The height is also about 90% of original
Sea Rooster
I'd like one all black / full scale...
Mikey914
I was thinking that it would look more "real" if the script was the same size as the OEM.
I was leaning that way, but thought I'd float it out there.
Johny Blackstain
916? biggrin.gif
914Sixer
FULL SIZE for sure.
Cairo94507
Definitely full sized script. beerchug.gif
MCShack
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 14 2021, 09:11 AM) *

Definitely full sized script. beerchug.gif

FULL SIZED and in BLACK or GOLD so you have an option depending upon color of car, bumpers, wheels, etc.
914sgofast2
Full size only!
Ansbacher
Mikey,
You could make a fortune producing a "914-J" badge. There are a lot of members out there with cars on jackstands wacko.gif

Ansbacher
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 14 2021, 11:32 AM) *

Mikey,
You could make a fortune producing a "914-J" badge. There are a lot of members out there with cars on jackstands wacko.gif

Ansbacher

full size
Quinn Moore
Page 6- ("Restorer's Guide to Auth.....", can't stop reading it) Click to view attachment
Mikey914
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 14 2021, 11:32 AM) *

Mikey,

Ansbacher

Yes but unless someone breaks into your garage who would see it? blink.gif
sixnotfour
Mike Mueller, maybe still does one offs...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...313857&st=0
Mikey914
For one offs that may be your best bet.

We are looing at making these in some quantity. Like the OEM with smooth letters and pebble texture on the lower connection bars. In black, maybe silver buffed polished and sealed, as that would technically be correct. Will look like our other emblems, just with an S.

Target would be $25, could lower if we have enough interest. Either way I think a cool edition.

I really need to sell 50 pcs to pencil out just the tooling. I'm hoping that there is enough interest.
914Sixer
Put me down for two for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.