Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 heads won't budge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
In the process of dis assembling a 2 liter/4 cyl. it seems as the cylinder heads are stuck to the cast iron cylinders. This motor came to me as "unknown condition". Will not turn with plugs removed. It appears this motor may have been sitting around for a while. spark plugs were loose, appeared new and had some light rusting at the cylinder ends. Also it seems as moisture has gotten into the intake ports with some rusting there also. I have removed all the cylinder head nuts and the heads won't move at all. Any assistance is appreciated.
914sgofast2
Put the engine on an engine stand so you can rotate it so one cylinder bank is facing upwards. Fill those 2 cylinders with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF and let sit for a couple of days. Then try persuading that head to let go using a rubber hammer. Rotate engine and repeat this procedure on the other head. I had a similar problem with a 1.7 motor that was gifted to me after it had sat outside in the weather for years.
Dave_Darling
Tap the head in the same direction as the fins. Top, bottom, ends. You're hitting on the edges of the fins, in the same direction that the fins go. That can often break the bond between the Al heads and the Fe barrels.

--DD
930cabman
I shot about 5 seconds worth of PB Blaster in the spark plug holes a few days ago. Thanks Dave, I will shoot PB around the cylinder/head connection and give it a few more days.
Shivers
Once you have checked for that last sneaky nut, with a rubber mallet follow Dave's direction. Top bottom side side over and over till it comes off.
930cabman
After soaking the mating surfaces with PB, one head has loosened enough to be removed. Not so easy with the other side. There is no carbon in the combustion chambers/ exhaust ports, BUT a water line in the combustion chamber showing a water line of about 1/2 full of water. It looks as though this freshly rebuilt engine had never been run, but allowed to take on quite a bit of water.
Shivers
Is it rusty or can you get away with some glass beading, a hone and some new rings? Pic's?
euro911
Soak the rusty barrels in a bucket of Evaporust idea.gif
930cabman
Working over the engine earlier I threw out my back, aging? I was unable to remove one of the cylinder heads. I was able to get the engine with cyls 1-2 upright and filled the combustion chambers PB/paint thinner. Also, several valve stems, etc are ugly. I will get the heads out to my local head guy next week. Keeping fingers crossed Evaporust will get things cleaned up. Thanks for the replies all
930cabman
Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers out there. I had an hour or so in the shop today between family activities and managed to "slide" one cylinder off. No pitting, very light rusting in one spot. Rings are stuck in their grooves and hopefully pistons will be salvageable.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 20 2021, 07:35 PM) *

Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers out there. I had an hour or so in the shop today between family activities and managed to "slide" one cylinder off. No pitting, very light rusting in one spot. Rings are stuck in their grooves and hopefully pistons will be salvageable.

If you wind up needing stock 94mm pistons let me know. I have the set I just pulled off yesterday and think they are reusable but may need to ask an engine builder on here. I’m putting in 96s.

Click to view attachment

930cabman
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ Jun 20 2021, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 20 2021, 07:35 PM) *

If you wind up needing stock 94mm pistons let me know. I have the set I just pulled off yesterday and think they are reusable but may need to ask an engine builder on here. I’m putting in 96s.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the offer Sean, once I can dig in to this again I will determine if new parts are needed. I am also considering 96mm pistons/cylinders but a new set of 94mm rings can be had for $25. where new 96 P/C's is closer to $900.
r_towle
If you are taking it apart, pull harder and pull the heads and cylinders out together. Then use a big tub and soak them for a day or two.
930cabman
I have been able to remove one cylinder head and one cylinder. It appears the piston rings are rusted in their grooves from excessive moisture water in the combustion chambers. With the rings stuck, the cylinder did not slide off easily. I am hoping soaking the pistons for a few days will allow for easier removal.
Superhawk996
Heat is your friend - break out the fire wrench.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 22 2021, 11:54 AM) *

Heat is your friend - break out the fire wrench.

That is exactly what I went for earlier, propane with the cylinders pointing up and boiling PB did the trick. It still was a fight, but the cylinders are off. I was hoping to utilize some of the parts. but after seeing missing washers on the cyl head nuts, a head gasket partially seated and partially in the combustion chamber and hammer marks on the cylinder upper mating surfaces. It is looking like I will be splitting the case to see what other surprises are in there. Too bad, it looks like this engine was freshly rebuilt, never run in (one cylinder very low compression due to improper gasket sealing) and allowed to take on water.

I have another 2.0/4 with good compression, clean BUT a rod knock.

Some guys have all the luck and it's not going my way currently.

Can anyone provide experience with the rebuild kits from LJ?

Thanks all
930cabman
Click to view attachment

Freshly rebuilt!! I saw something similar on an Alfa spider many years ago

Click to view attachment

Sad, a "new motor" left in the outdoors to return to the earth

Not sure what lurks inside the case?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.