Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm assuming this is the wrong rotor for my '73 1.7L? Or wrong cap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi:

I'm closing in on a no-spark issue thanks to the many good troubleshooting threads on this forum and think I've found the (or one of the) problems. Would be grateful for confirmation.

Background - the car was sitting for 3+years but the PO claimed it ran well. At some point he must have tried to get it running because the cap, rotor, condenser and points are all shiny new. But I've been unable to get spark when cranking.

I do get quite a nice spark from the HT lead when temporarily grounding the coil negative so it seems the coil and condenser are OK.

BUT - as seen in the photos, there is something seriously wrong with the interference between the rotor and the cap. Cap is 1235 522 056. Rotor has no markings. Haynes manual shows both this rev limiting and standard rotors but doesn't make it clear which is for the 1.7. Pelican shows the regular rotor in their super kit: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL9...mp;sorter=photo

So do I have the wrong rotor or the wrong cap? Or both?

Thanks in advance,

Ron
914Sixer
Rotor is correct on for the distributor. Looks like the rotor Might not have been seated all the way down and chewed in to rotor. Correct part number for cap is 03010(Bosch short number) 123552056. Make sure everything is seated correctly. Rotor all the way down and cap setting in distributor slots.
jrmdir
Thanks Mark - good input......

It's a strange setup - which seems not unusual for 914s - but I'm sure that the rotor and cap were properly seated as I had them in and out several times. On a Sunday with no other options I went to AutoZone and got a generic VW cap and then filed about 1/64 off of the tip of the rotor in my photo and it now works just fine. Was able to get the engine running nicely even on starter fluid. Hooking up the newly cleaned out gas tank is next.

My goal for this is just to be able to drive the car long enough to diagnose the mechanicals before dropping the engine and getting serious. On the way back up I'll certainly get the proper Bosch cap and rotor.

Thanks again.

Ron
914Sixer
Is the distributor a factory FI one or aftermarket for carbs. They use different rotors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.