Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: recurrent issue on the forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlindzey
i am after a simple swap, plug and play option for better night vision.
i guess there are three options
conventional headlights
halogen
LED

I just need better than where i am with out a lot of hassle which it sounds like LED create. is the jeep headlight at autozone still the way to go?
Steve
914rubber has a nice LED solution
bkrantz
These are easy plug and play (but I am still months away from getting my rebuild done, and so can't rate their performance).

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vcm3...-headlight-kit/
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(dlindzey @ Jun 20 2021, 05:12 PM) *

conventional headlights
halogen
LED

I just need better than where i am with out a lot of hassle which it sounds like LED create. is the jeep headlight at autozone still the way to go?

I did the Hella H4 globe upgrade and H4 bulbs - got the setup from Pelican Parts. Super easy to install and a huge improvement from the factory sealed beam headlights. And I can always upgrade to LED bulbs later (they work in the Hella globes too).

About $125 for the whole kit (both headlights):

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/7047...SI=976&fs=0
ConeDodger
Frankly, I don’t daily drive my 914 so these have been an unused improvement. Nice to know they’re there though.

On the left, stock sealed beams. On the right, the 914rubber LED. No contest. The Jeep lights look weird.
iankarr
I did a video on the 914rubber kit. Great solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTa0JSenk0
VaccaRabite
You want LED lenses and bulbs.
I try not to drive my 914 at night but end up taking road trips that end up with me driving for hours sometimes after dark. We all eventually get caught out at night even on short trips, and the LED lights help you see and be seen. And you can get housings that look vintage but have the right reflection for the LED bulbs from places like VintageCarLED.

This is one of those no-brainer changes. It keeps you safe. It can look totally stock. And you can reverse it back to stock sealed beams in about 2 hours of work if you wanted to for a concourse, etc.

Zach
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 21 2021, 06:29 AM) *

I try not to drive my 914 at night but end up taking road trips that end up with me driving for hours sometimes after dark. We all eventually get caught out at night even on short trips, and the LED lights help you see and be seen. And you can get housings that look vintage but have the right reflection for the LED bulbs from places like VintageCarLED.

This is one of those no-brainer changes. It keeps you safe. It can look totally stock. And you can reverse it back to stock sealed beams in about 2 hours of work if you wanted to for a concourse, etc.

Zach

Best I could tell, Vintage Car LED is simply using H4 reflectors for its top upgrade option. Would love to be corrected on that.

Best LED lights appear to be the Jeep trucklites or similar. For those who want a somewhat vintage look, the "Kenworth" actual trucklites appear to be closest?

About to rebuild my headlight mechanisms (there is a lot of play!), and mulling the install of LED bulbs in my H4s per comments here—but have some reservations too. Sure like the idea of more light, reduced draw, and less through old switches, etc…
Shivers
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 21 2021, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 21 2021, 06:29 AM) *

Zach

Best I could tell, Vintage Car LED is simply using H4 reflectors for its top upgrade option. Would love to be corrected on that.

Best LED lights appear to be the Jeep trucklites or similar. For those who want a somewhat vintage look, the "Kenworth" actual trucklites appear to be closest?

About to rebuild my headlight mechanisms (there is a lot of play!), and mulling the install of LED bulbs in my H4s per comments here—but have some reservations too. Sure like the idea of more light, reduced draw, and less through old switches, etc…

I get plenty of light from the halogens. But the reduced draw is a big one, and will be the reason I will convert. Has anyone figured out what % of horsepower is regained by reducing the work load of the alternator? Or gas mileage improvement? In my bug days I popped the fan belt off for a race I didn't want to lose.
bbrock
I have the "Jeep" Truck-Lites on mine. I really like them and they were plug-n-play on my car at least. Not concours, but they look just like OEM when the headlights are off biggrin.gif

I will add my vote for the importance of matching the correct bulbs to the lenses. There are LED bulbs that are carefully designed to replicate the way halogen bulbs emit light, but many are not and can throw a light pattern that is dangerous. Do your homework.
Jamie
I replaced my H 4 halogens with the LED's that were demonstrated at Okteenerfest 2 years ago, and I believe they were from Vintage Car, but I'm not sure about which unit they now offer? As I recall they were a sealed unit, plug and play with the bulb installed. However, they are "light years' better than the H 4's I had installed several years ago. I will see if I can determine what actual Vintage Car units I have when I'm working on the car later today, drove home in the dark this past weekend and the front of the car is plastered with bugs, including my headlights! ar15.gif
dlindzey
QUOTE(dlindzey @ Jun 20 2021, 06:12 PM) *

conventional headlights
halogen
LED

thanks for all the responses. some of the LED v halogen articles talk about heat sinks and other mods needed for LED- does anything need to be done other than swap out bulbs for either LED or halogen lamps?
Cairo94507
I installed the Vintage Car LEDs after having the GE Nighthawk LED headlights in my car. The Nighthawks performed perfectly-loved them. But the lens protruded forward about 3/8 of an inch more than the stock headlights. That meant the eyebrows and such had to be adjusted to allow the headlights to clear when opening and closing. That gap made me crazy. headbang.gif

The Vintage Car H4 headlights fit perfectly. smilie_pokal.gif You do have to secure the small power module to the headlight mounting assembly with zip ties so it does not get caught in the headlights as they rotate up and down. I posted a lot of pictures of my install on the LED Headlight thread started by another member. I love the fit and look. I did order and install some headlight protector film on them too just in case a rock should strike them.

In about 2 weeks I will be taking the car down to LA driving.gif to see Jim, Kent, Bob and maybe even Andy if he is available. When we leave it is usually around 0300 so the drive down is mostly in the dark. That will be the ultimate test of the Vintage Cars lights. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.