Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backpad removal - related wiring questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
digit3
Noob questions regarding my new-to-me '73:

I am going to reseal the rear window and have just removed the backpad. I am considering putting new Dynamat on the firewall and then covering it with Perlon to match the rest of the interior carpet.

I have a few basic electrical questions. Trying to avoid adding more gremlins to my car!

I don't care about having the backpad light. Can I 86 it?

I also just received my new seatbelts. Do I need to keep the buckle and seat sensor wires? I don't have factory gauges and don't appear to have any seatbelt warning lights. The car will start without the belts buckled.

Can I remove the defroster lever light assembly?

Lastly, just got a radio block off panel for my dash. Going to pull the head unit and speakers out of the car. How about all of the audio related wiring - can it also be removed?

Thanks

mepstein
I'm not an electrical guy but my suggestion is never cut wires. Just cap or tape them off and hide them. A small zip tie will help.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 23 2021, 01:02 PM) *

I'm not an electrical guy but my suggestion is never cut wires. Just cap or tape them off and hide them. A small zip tie will help.

agree.gif The factory just folded back unused wire connections and taped them to the harness making sure to cover the terminals with tape. I would do that but now issues with leaving those items disconnected. Audio wiring was added by the dealer or a PO so no reason not to yank it all out. However, if you have an OEM accessory harness, it is worth saving or passing on to somebody who wants the genuine article.
bkrantz
Yup, fold and tape the wire ends. For the interior light, you can coil up the leads and tuck them next to or into the tunnel. The seat belt wires can also go, and just tape off the plug under the passenger seat.

And Brent is right: any wiring for the radio is not factory. You can pull them all--just trace the power lead back to where-ever the dealer tapped into 12 volts, probably the fuse block.
rgalla9146
I agree with both responses about wiring.
IF there is intact OE speaker wire someone may buy it.
Are you going with no heat ? the lever on the floor opens the heat valves and turns the fan on.
digit3
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 23 2021, 06:43 PM) *

I agree with both responses about wiring.
IF there is intact OE speaker wire someone may buy it.
Are you going with no heat ? the lever on the floor opens the heat valves and turns the fan on.

Thanks to all who've responded.

I am going w/o heat.

Dave
Cairo94507
I agree with others. You never know what could change with your car in the future. You or maybe the next owner may want to reinstall all of that stuff to return the car to a more stock appearance. Clean, tape, fold and zip-tie please. beerchug.gif
mlindner
I have no heat, ac, radio, wipers, removed flip up lights, nothing. Did leave all factory connectors in place and taped. Then on cut wires very tight shrink-wrap on end of each wire, heated, folded back and taped. No problems .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.