Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound deadening fuel pump jacket - GT Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tailwind22
My 914-6 GT tribute has a Holly fuel pump mounted on the rear firewall using rubber washers. Staying true to the GT theme I have no engine compartment backpad and want to keep it that way. The fuel pump is noisy in the cockpit and I am looking to try to quiet things down. Anyone wrapped some sort of an insulating jacket around their pump? Looking for ideas.
tygaboy
I'm betting you know this but will hazard the comment:
Be careful "insulating" the pump. Anything that retains heat in the pump isn't your friend.

Could you move it off the firewall and still keep it true to the look? Is it purely the sound or is any vibration adding to the situation?

If there is some vibration that's adding to the problem, maybe "double rubber mount it"? Something like a bracket that attaches to the current rubber mounts, then attach the pump to that with another set of rubber mounts?
mepstein
Get a quiet pump, plumb it into the fuel system in a hidden spot, gut the existing pump.
Quiet and looks correct.
Retroracer
Maybe more work than you're looking for, but on my faux GT I located the fuel pump in the front trunk (as per the factory GTs), fuel regulator in the lower engine bay. I have a Facet pump - which is quite noisy - but can only just hear it before the starter engages.

With your pump mounted on the firewall, it's going to work against that whole panel to try and make it a loudspeaker, coupled into the passenger compartment - suggest at least moving it to the edge of the firewall or attached to a stiffer surface - rubber mounted of course.

- Tony
Shivers
Ok, it's a tribute car with a Holley fuel pump. So looking correct at the fuel pump is not a concern. Here is the quiet holley:

https://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-427-Mighty...;language=en_US
tailwind22
Good thoughts. Just for shits and giggles here is a pic of the current install. Should have done a front trunk install or maybe look for a quieter pump.

mlindner
ON my GT Tribute I'm not staying on GT theme. so mine is upfront and only has the rubber insulated shield over the u-clamp. Under a Modified fuel tank with good access for service and fuel filter. I can only hear pre-start up. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
brant
The engine bay is not ideal
There is a reason the factory moved the pumps from the engine bay to the front trunk.

And that was at 30 psi
Gas boils easier at 3 psi
You created a potential vapor lock problem in the heat
brant
Ideally. You are really supposed to use a return line
Cooler fuel. More hp
All cars use return lines for a reason

Here is my fuel system
bbrock
I would start by getting actual vibration isolating mounts rather than just rubber washers. They are available in many sizes and styles. Check McMaster-Carr. Those mounts completely isolate the part from the mounting surface with a rubber cushion with no metal fasteners running all the way through to telegraph vibrations. They can significantly reduce vibration noise in situations like this.
Johny Blackstain
It's a frikkin noisy pump. I use it on my truck and it's mounted everywhere with rubber- the ring around the pump is rubber lined, the ring is rubber mounted to the bracket and it's rubber mounted to the frame dry.gif
Krieger
I have the same pump. Mine is mounted in the front trunk. It is loud, but I can only hear it when the engine is not running.
tailwind22
Lots of good ideas. Good to know the Holly is a noisy pump. Thanks. Will try the vibration isolating mounts first and if that doesn't help will add another winter project to my list in moving to the front trunk. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.