Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick-remove doors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
MichiganMat
Im thinking of modifying my door hinges to allow for my doors to quickly come off the car and I thought I would check in with the 914World Paddock mind-share before I start cutting and welding.

For context, both doors are gutted, car is fully caged. The goal would be for the doors to quickly come off the car. Id remove the pins from the hinges, remove the bottom ear from the drivers hinges, top and bottom, and weld in the pins at the top.

For protection I could crossdrill the pins and add a cotterpin as some insurance.

Thoughts? Commentary? Better idea?

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Thought process seems sound, seen similar setups on lots of vintage cars. But if you’re going though all that trouble, why not FG doors, save more weight?
jd74914
I must not be understanding something, but why you would remove the bottom part of the hinge-wouldn't you cut the top so you can lift them off?
stownsen914
I almost did a mod like this using pip pins in place of the factory hinge pins to make my doors easily removable. In the years I still had the doors on hinges, I removed them ... zero times (once I converted the car to roofless I Dzus'd the doors in place). For me it wouldn't have been worth it.
mlindner
Looks good to me, should work fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.