Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front wheel bearings for a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
As the heading says, I am on the slope of 'one more thing' while replacing the master cylinder. First it's have PMB rebuild calipers. Then replace front rotors. While they are off, do the wheel bearings.
I looked at the video, but that is for a -4. Not quite the same. And I don't want to mess up these hubs.
So, anyone in the Chicagoland area that could remove the old races and press new ones in? I have the parts from PMB. I'll drive them over, or pack up and ship.
914Sixer
Try taking them to a machine shop.
mepstein
Old races will remove from the back with a punch. New races can be installed with a loaner race setting tool from your local auto part store. Heat the hub in the oven and tap in the race with the tool.

I have a friendly local mechanic who will do that kind of stuff for a few dollars. I drop it off in the morning and pick it up after lunch.

Recently, I got tired of driving to my old shop so I bought a harbor freight 20 ton press. It was under $200 and I’ve used it quite a bit. It’s more than paid for itself.
roblav1
Front (and rears) pretty much slide in place after bearings in the freezer and heating the hubs.
fixer34
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jun 26 2021, 07:55 PM) *

Front (and rears) pretty much slide in place after bearings in the freezer and heating the hubs.

I was thinking about this; have to make sure ALL the grease is out if I use the wife's oven...
bkrantz
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 26 2021, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jun 26 2021, 07:55 PM) *

I was thinking about this; have to make sure ALL the grease is out if I use the wife's oven...

Maybe swap in some bacon grease? dry.gif
mepstein
Wipe them clean and then use brake clean to clean them further. Or clean and bead blast. I leave the old races in, bead blast and then remove the races and install new.

worn
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 26 2021, 04:18 PM) *

As the heading says, I am on the slope of 'one more thing' while replacing the master cylinder. First it's have PMB rebuild calipers. Then replace front rotors. While they are off, do the wheel bearings.
I looked at the video, but that is for a -4. Not quite the same. And I don't want to mess up these hubs.
So, anyone in the Chicagoland area that could remove the old races and press new ones in? I have the parts from PMB. I'll drive them over, or pack up and ship.

I might be able to help. I live in Madison WI, but right now I am in Arizona. On my way home tomorrow.
brant
Steel punch
Brass drift

No press necessary
gms
Pete, I sent you a text
fixer34
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 27 2021, 08:12 AM) *

Pete, I sent you a text

Email sent, thanks.
mb911
Super easy in an oven they drop out and your done. I use a oxy torch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.