Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not Porsche related but still a cool project for me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgilliam914
My girlfriend inherited a 31 olds sedan
It hasn’t run in 10 years so she asked me if it was something I could look into?
The body was restored 15 years ago and the interior 12.
My first good look at it happened today. The fuel will be drained and the carb cleaned.
The oil will be changed. And a new battery added. I have six new plugs coming Tuesday
From what I was told when it did run it would overheat. I will assess that once I get it going.
I am very excited to tackle something different.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
euro911
That's really cool
Jett
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Jun 27 2021, 07:10 PM) *

My girlfriend inherited a 31 olds sedan
It hasn’t run in 10 years so she asked me if it was something I could look into?
The body was restored 15 years ago and the interior 12.
My first good look at it happened today. The fuel will be drained and the carb cleaned.
The oil will be changed. And a new battery added. I have six new plugs coming Tuesday
From what I was told when it did run it would overheat. I will assess that once I get it going.
I am very excited to tackle something different.

Click to view attachment

Love the side view mirror!
ClayPerrine
That look almost identical to the 1931 Chevrolet my father owned. I learned to drive a manual transmission on that car. Funny how GM was doing badge engineering as far back as this.

The engine is different, as is the dashboard. But the rest is identical.

From experience, the mirrors on top of the tires are a cool idea, but worthless for seeing behind you.

Good luck!

Clay
johnhora
Very Cool...that's going to be a fun project...let us know how it goes.
Jgilliam914
I jumped into this old piece of American Iron. I drained the tank and cleaned the fuel line. Changed all the fluids and filters. Removed the old battery. A John Deere tractor battery. There was no easy way to pull it easily. so that took awhile. My grip and the inability to access it sucked. But with the new battery I pumped out all the old fuel then used a air hose to blow out what rust was in it. I added the oil checked the radiator level and added 5 gallons a little sea foam and started cranking. Tossed in a little starting fluid and she fired right up. Pretty damn simple all in all. I finished by airing up the tires and will look at the brakes tomorrow.. I am going to open a beer and smile knowing my Dad would have loved getting dirty working on this
mrholland2
If I had that car and lived in a small town (maybe even the size I live in now), it would be my non-rain daily driver just to watch people react.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Jun 29 2021, 07:35 PM) *

I jumped into this old piece of American Iron. I drained the tank and cleaned the fuel line. Changed all the fluids and filters. Removed the old battery. A John Deere tractor battery. There was no easy way to pull it easily. so that took awhile. My grip and the inability to access it sucked. But with the new battery I pumped out all the old fuel then used a air hose to blow out what rust was in it. I added the oil checked the radiator level and added 5 gallons a little sea foam and started cranking. Tossed in a little starting fluid and she fired right up. Pretty damn simple all in all. I finished by airing up the tires and will look at the brakes tomorrow.. I am going to open a beer and smile knowing my Dad would have loved getting dirty working on this

Remember, the brakes are cable operated. So you will never get them to work evenly. It will always pull one way or another under braking.

With the battery, you should be able to pull the floorboard up and get to it easy.

If the Olds engine is anything like the Chevy engine, you won't get much oil pressure. The pump does not pressure feed the mains, it fills a well above them and gravity makes the oil run down past the bearings. The rods are lubricated by splash oiling. There are dippers attached to the ends of the rods, and there are troughs welded into the oil pan that hold oil up high enough so the dippers can scoop it up.

I hope the mohair upholstery is in good shape. It looks good, but it sucks to sit on when it is hot out. Take a towel.

Clay
Jgilliam914
I took it out for it’s re-maiden voyage this week.
The brakes work ( sort of )
It puffs a lot of blue smoke but I can get it to fire up without any starting fluid and keep it running.
It’s running rich so that will have to be addressed and so far it has not overheated. Maybe tomorrow I will take it out further than the neighborhood.
It’s loud and driving it is like a same vintage tractor.
But she cleans up nice!!

Click to view attachment
Shivers
She is very elegant. I get a real kick seeing one running down the road.
Jamie
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Jul 4 2021, 02:58 PM) *

I took it out for it’s re-maiden voyage this week.
The brakes work ( sort of )
It puffs a lot of blue smoke but I can get it to fire up without any starting fluid and keep it running.
It’s running rich so that will have to be addressed and so far it has not overheated. Maybe tomorrow I will take it out further than the neighborhood.
It’s loud and driving it is like a same vintage tractor.
But she cleans up nice!!

Click to view attachment

Looks like a good candidate for a turbo! driving.gif Lots of open space under that bonnet.
Montreal914
Look very nice! smile.gif
And rust free too... laugh.gif
Jgilliam914
Here is a short video of its shake down runClick to view attachment
krazykonrad
Keep the updates coming. This is a cool project!
Jgilliam914
Figured out how to add a video of the Oldsmobile

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv70pW0Aa8&feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/q7mZVl-nyok?feature=share
Jgilliam914
I love working on cars but 90 year old ones are a whole different breed. The fuel pump started leaking and I’ve tore it apart 3 times and finally gave up. I ordered a new 6V electric fuel pump and will get to it this weekend. I am getting used to fixing something only to find something else that needs attention. The 914 has prepared me well headbang.gif headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.