Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mysterious Penny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobforman
While trying to reconnect the clevis for the clutch cable (dropping the pin several times) I noticed something else was occupying the forward end of the tunnel. After a few attempts at retrieving it (and the pin), it turned out to be this penny. No idea how it got there; couldn't have been accidently dropped. I presume this isn't a tradition. In case it is, I'm going to leave a 2021 penny in it's place. BTW, my car is a 74 and the penny is date 1969.Click to view attachment
Big Len
I have no idea why, but I think that's kinda cool.
Maybe leave both?
PanelBilly
It might be mine. I lost one recently.
rjames
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 30 2021, 03:30 PM) *

It might be mine. I lost one recently.

laugh.gif
Puebloswatcop
I felt fortunate when I started my restoration and found 37 cents. I felt it was a fine return on my investment....LOL lol-2.gif
Ansbacher
Too bad it wasn’t a German Pfennig.

Ansbacher
Freezin 914
Cool! Fyi, might be a rare coin, can’t make out the mint in the picture. confused24.gif
SO.O.C914er
A penny for your thoughts!! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
euro911
I don't know why they even bother minting coins any more ...

https://www.coinnews.net/2020/02/07/penny-c...o-make-in-2019/
930cabman
If you have an extra one, glue it to the top of your battery near the + terminal and say goodbye to corrosion problems in the future. An oldtimer told me this 50+ years ago and it has served me well for many years.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 1 2021, 04:23 AM) *

If you have an extra one, glue it to the top of your battery near the + terminal and say goodbye to corrosion problems in the future. An oldtimer told me this 50+ years ago and it has served me well for many years.

If your going to deface a coin like that ! Better use Canadian
73-914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 1 2021, 09:39 AM) *

Always agree.gif
Maltese Falcon
On the #40 Sonauto gt, we found this 1/2 French Franc used as a shim installed in a cover plate, which goes over the cam-drive.
Yes it's still in use smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
A penny older than 1982 minting is actually worth $.02 since it is 95% copper. At some point in 1982 it changed to nearly all zinc.
akp2002
That makes good cents!
930cabman
I have never paid attention to the metals, I do know that I have not had to deal with terminal corrosion on any of my vehicles. For $.01 there is quite a bit of value
Root_Werks
QUOTE(akp2002 @ Jul 1 2021, 07:59 AM) *

That makes good cents!

lol-2.gif
KELTY360
Flathead Ford guys would put a penny on each end of the intake heat crossover to get more crackle on the exhaust.
StarBear
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 1 2021, 08:23 AM) *

Just next to the + terminal or actually touching it? I presume the former for safety reasons?
AZBanks
A penny dropped out of my dash while on the Rt 66 drive.

Together we would could give our 2 cents worth.
Warren914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 1 2021, 07:39 AM) *

Canada doesn't use pennies any more.
They were discontinued as of March 2012.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Jun 30 2021, 11:28 PM) *

A penny for your thoughts!! lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

$50 bucks to act them out... biggrin.gif
gereed75
On my bmw e30 it is common to tape coins to the brake pedal arm where it contacts the brake switch. they act as shims to ensure the pedal arm closes the switch.

Right now I am using a nickel.
930cabman
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 1 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Just next to the + terminal or actually touching it? I presume the former for safety reasons?

Nearby works just great. Free electrons do their thing and terminal corrosion will be a thing of the past.
StarBear
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 3 2021, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 1 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Nearby works just great. Free electrons do their thing and terminal corrosion will be a thing of the past.

Thanks! Picked up to pre-1982 pennies in change yesterday.
bobforman
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 30 2021, 03:03 PM) *

I have no idea why, but I think that's kinda cool.
Maybe leave both?

Splendid idea. Thanks
bobforman
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jun 30 2021, 08:31 PM) *

Cool! Fyi, might be a rare coin, can’t make out the mint in the picture. confused24.gif

D, I presume for Denver
StarBear
I have a 1914 penny; it happens to be a 1914 "P" one, too. That’d be an especially quirky addition to the car.
bobforman
This is getting a little stranger. I opened the rear access plate on the tunnel and found a 1965 quarter. It's quite corroded so it's been there a long time.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(bobforman @ Jul 5 2021, 12:30 PM) *

This is getting a little stranger. I opened the rear access plate on the tunnel and found a 1965 quarter. It's quite corroded so it's been there a long time.

Pretty bad sign Looks like people have been throwing good money into it for a long time. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.